We are Back in Florence :)

Trip Start Sep 02, 2009
Trip End Oct 01, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Gloria's House

Flag of United States  , Oregon
Wednesday, September 9, 2009

This morning, September 9, we woke up to the doorbell being rung. Tony, Harold's mechanic, came by to have a
look at the car. He confirmed that the car was officially kapput. A little
disheartened, we decided to move on and figure out our next step. After talking
with my dad, our neighbor and good friend Phil, who is more like family to me,
offered his Chevrolet Blazer to us. How unbelievably generous! So now, we are
on our way back to Florence, Oregon to stay with Gloria and Barney until my dad
arrived with our new car. All is not lost! We will go on! So far, our journey
has been amazing. I am looking forward to the next chapter!

So, if you haven’t already noticed, we haven’t written in our blog for a while. Our trip hasn’t gone exactly as we had planned. We were originally planning to go east from La Conner on the Cascade Highway through Cascade National Park then go through Glacier National Park in the northeastern corner of Montana before heading south to Yellowstone National Park. Instead, we headed south back to Gloria and Barney’s house in Florence, Oregon. We left La Conner at 12:30 p.m. on the 9th and arrived in Florence at 9:00 p.m. on 5 cylinders instead of 6 (due to the broken rocker). I have to admit the car ran pretty darn good for being so sick. It didn’t have as much power, but we could easily go 65 on the freeway. When we finally arrived to Gloria and Barney’s we were greeted with same hospitality and kindness they showed us upon our first visit. Tired, we went to bed (well, after enjoying a Ham’s and Katrin’s new favorite, a Corona with a lime wedge). The next day, we hung out at the house, made some errands with Gloria, and then walked down to the beach to play while waiting for my dad to arrive. My dad had left Long Beach on the 8th at 11p.m. He attempted to sleep for a couple of hours on the side of the road, but he claims the only sleep he got was 2 hours the previous night. Anyways, beside making a couple of coffee and bathroom breaks, Dad drove straight from Long Beach to Florence. That’s over a thousand miles!!! I don’t think many people could make such a trip. And to think my dad is 78 years old! He is really amazing! But what is even more remarkable is the distance he would go for his daughter. We are all so grateful for what he did for us, as well what our neighbor and friend Phil Smith has done for us by letting us borrow his vehicle. They are real lifesavers! Well, Dad finally arrived at 7:30 p.m. where he met us at Bliss’s Hot Rod Grille once again, where we ate with Gloria, Barney, and their friends, Wayne and Judy from Sacramento. My dad was in high spirits. He must have been exhausted, but it didn’t show in the least. After ordering him a cheeseburger, we headed back to Gloria and Barney’s house for a good night’s rest before heading towards Boise. Idaho (well, not before cleaning out the Beemer and putting our stuff in our new vehicle, a 1999 Chevrolet Blazer).

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: