Salar de Uyuni - Day 2 and 3

Trip Start May 12, 2013
Trip End Jul 30, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  , Uyuni,
Friday, July 19, 2013

Day 2:

Got up for breakfast at 7, and left the house at 8. We drove inwards the national park. Saw a few llama farms along the way, nice lagoons, and geysers. Around lunch, we arrived at the hot springs, which was basically a 5m diameter circular pool. It was real windy and chilly outside and the water didn't look clean, so I decided to give it a pass. It was then that dark clouds started encircling and it started to snow. We were going to continue our drive towards Laguna Verde and Blanco (white and green lagoons) but snow had already blocked the path ahead. We had no choice but to turn back.

Had lunch at the hot springs area, before driving straight to our lodging for the night. We dropped our bags and headed towards Laguna colarado (red lagoon). It was snowing quite heavily and the surroundings were covered in mist. Nevertheless, the pinkish lagoon was a nice sight since we had to pass on the other lagoons.

It started snowing even heavier. We went back to the lodge, play some card games, and snacks and dinner and slept.

Day 3:

Certainly a memorable day. Last night was supposedly the coldest night (-15 to -20 deg), and I had to wrap myself in my sleeping bag to keep warm. When I woke up for breakfast at 7, I saw the cars parked outside were completely covered in more than 50cm of snow. This was crazy since it almost never ever snowed in this area. It snowed through the night and the winds were still blowing at this time. The snow came into our room as well as there were a few holes in the roof.

While we were having breakfast, our guide came to tell us that we would not be leaving till maybe 12noon, or even tomorrow if weather conditions stay this way. We were completely off mood. Kept pacing up and down the corridor to wait for news to get going. We saw a few cars from another tour group leave the lodge and were wondering why we aren't going as well. Lazed around till 12, had lunch, and found that the snow conditions weren't getting any better. Our guide told us we probably had to spend the night here. That was when we got prepared for the worst. Passed time by reading books, hiding in the jeep for warmth, and chatting with other travellers. At around dinner time, we were informed that all the cars that left in the morning had returned. It took them 4 hours to move just 400m out of the village. And they had to come back as the wind and snow was too harsh. Somehow we felt thankful that we did not have to get stuck in the snow this morning.

Praying that we will be able to get out of this place tomorrow. If we are stuck here another night, our itinerary would be screwed.

Huayllajara, Eduardo Avaroa National Park, Bolivia
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: