Meeting Jesus

Trip Start Dec 18, 2006
Trip End May 04, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Monday, April 16, 2007

The rest of the day after returning from Sydney was quite relaxing. We explored Hyde Park, The Domain and the Royal Botanical Gardens including a brilliant view of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge. In the Botanical Gardens, they had an exhibition on Aboriginal history in the area which was very enlightening. On top of it, there were thousands of bats hanging in the trees. On the way out, we got caught by a short by heavy rain but that's the only "excitement" we had all day!

We checked our e-mails to see if our friend Beat is back from holidays. Unfortunately, he wasn't back yet and I failed to get his contact details earlier. What a shame as it would've been fun to meet him, his wife and baby again - after meeting them first in Korea, then Hong Kong (but never in our native Switzerland and Germany. Strange, ey?).

The next morning, we caught a bus with a funny and friendly bus driver to Waterloo to pick up our campervan from "Wicked Campers". It turned out to be an old converted Toyota Hiace with very basic but functional interior. The "uniqueness" about "wicked campers" is that each has its unique design - ours was the "Jesus Fish" with the slogan "Honk if you know Jesus" on the back. It took only 5 minutes ont he road for someone to honk and I was "What the f...amily" before realising why they honked. Along the way, loads of people waved, honked or said "I'd honk if I had a car" - a highly communicative car, ey?!

3 hours after leaving Sydney, we pulled up in Jervis Bay consisting of one main street, the ever-present Chinese restaurant, a couple of campgrounds and "Deep6Diving". After sercuring a place in tomorrow's dive trip, we stocked up on supplies, negotiated the price for an umpowered campsite and "enjoyed" our first night in the camper. It was a cold but star-studded night and the "bed" quite hard. We did manage a good night's sleep (afer realising that using our own sleeping bags in addition to the blankets provided is a pretty good idea to keep warm - even if it only occured to me in the middle of the night.)

Firing up the gas cooker the next morning was an event for itself as we had to desperately search for a lighter. We had tea before heading to "downtown". An hour later, I bid farewell to Noble and headed towards the marine park for two dives. The weather was just great and I teramed up with a Dutch guy called Michel - which turned out great. We were both good on air and stayed under water much longer than the rest of the group - which enabled us to see a "Wobbegong" (type of shark), some cuttlefish, leafy sea dragons, a Southern Fiddler Tray, a cat-fish and many other sea creatures. The dives were just incredible!

Noble, in the meantime, enjoyed the sun and the beaches of Jervis Bay.She also took care of my backpack as she spilled detergent all over it (by accident of course). We spent the afternoon togethere walking along the beach before having a better (i.e. warmer) sleep in our 'Jesus Fish".
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: