Nashville - Washington DC (Stefan is coming)

Trip Start Mar 02, 2006
Trip End Jul 18, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , District of Columbia
Saturday, May 20, 2006

After 3 long days in Nashville, I talked a bit with Raghav the next morning, and then took a local bus to the interstate against Washington D.C.. I wanted to go around Virginia, becuase it should be illegal to hicthhike there. So I had to go through Kentucky, West Virginia and Maryland.
First I got kicked away by a cob, because I stood on a airport-area. On my second ride did i get a very silent driver, who didn't really wanted to speak. He had said that he was going to Knoxville, but he drove me more than an hour North of that. I got scared one time when he suddently went of the freeway and right into a forest, so I hurried out of the pick-up an took my things and said that I could find my way back to the freeway, but he told he that he just had to take "a piss" and then drive me the rest of the way to Kentucky and so he did. It was very rainy in Kentucky so I waited for 3 or more hours to start hitching again and at that time it had got dark - therefore I really started to hope that I wouldn't get a creepy driver as the other night-rides. Fortunatly that happened and I got picked up by this Lloyd and his freind, who drove me all the way to Lexington, Kentucky. The whole thing ended with me sleeping on his sofa and watching a movie with him - and the next day did he drive me back on the interstate.
The next day did I get 7 rides and those were easy. My last ride was from a guy, Zech, on my age, who was on his way to his little private christian collage. He was very nice and when he heard that I didn't had a place to stay did he invite me home - very neath. I spend the whole weekend at that collage in West Virginia, basicly because I could get with a mission trip - were Zech and some other kids was going to Camden, Pensylvania. But it was funny to be there and they had gratulation on that saturday to. All the student, who wasn't gone home for the summer, was very amazed about hearing about me and my travels... and that fact that I was from Denmark made it even more exciting for them. All the people there were very nice and gave me a lot of good food.
The missionaries gave me a ride to Maryland on sunday morning, and then I had to walk for a while to get to the right interstate. I stood in a bad spot, but a lady, Michelle, had seen me and pulled in while I was walking to a better spot. She said that she wanted to help me out and give me a place to stay and some food, though she barely haven't haerd my name. I had an appointment with a guy, Ben, in Washington DC that day, so in the beginning did I say that it properbly would be better for me to get to DC. But she allmost insisted and then I gave in and took with her to her home. She was sure that her husband would think of it as a good idea, though he had been on a fishingtrip the whole weekend. She exspected him to come home right after us, but she couldn't get in touch with him. She said I should call Ben in DC and tell him that I was coming the next day instead - and so I did. I was a little sceptic about his satisfaction, due to my experiences with Molly and her boyfreind in Nashville.
When Michelle's husband, Eric, finally came home didn't seemed so satisfied for her "sunday-surprice" and they went down under while I was using their computer. Afterwards came Michelle back up, allmost crying, and said that her mom and Eric thought she was "crazy" picking me up. But that she could drive me back on the freeway... so I called Ben and changed the plans once more. After ths did Eric say that I could come and take a beer and then he apologized for getting a little "chocked" and said that I could stay there and get some food if I wanted to. Third and last time did i call Ben to change the plans and tell him that I stayed in Maryland that night. Eric and Michelle took me out to get some pizza and then we saw a movie before we went to sleep.
Monday morning did Michelle drive me to "Frederick" where she worked and from there I got one ride into a subway station from where I got to downtown DC.
I burned some time that day, cause I had to meet with Ben at 6pm before picking my freind, Stefan, up in Dulles Airport later that night. Ben and me went out to eat with two of his girlfreinds and then I had to go to the airport to make sure that I would be there before Stefan. He was very nervous that I wouldn't going to be there when he arrived, so I waited for 3 hours on him out there. The immigration authorities had given him a hard time to get in, so he had maybe got even more nervous when I met him - so we just got to Ben's appartment.

Stefan and me spend the 4 days in DC to see the goverment builings and all the memorials - wich is a very important place to have been for the next time we'll see a Hollywood blockbuster, were US gets killed by aliens or some. We also spend quite a lot time with Ben, drikning in the nights. He showed ud around "the hood" one of the days and took us to a bar. That night must really not have been my night, cause I was caught peeing on the street right after Stefan had done it on the same spot. Unfortunatly the police came and cuffed me up and took me to the station were I had to pay a silly 25$ fine.
We tried to make it to the free museums, but we were a little lazy and they were pretty boring... so we just eate some hot dogs instead. And that were the days in the states capital.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: