Highway 1 to LA/Santa Monica

Trip Start Mar 02, 2006
Trip End Jul 18, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Tuesday, March 14, 2006

After I left Robert's home in SF, did I have to walk an hour or something, because the road along the cost was closed because of the big storm yesterday. The first day seemed as my hitchhiking-sign worked quited well, cause I was "already" in Santa Cruz about 1.30pm. There were actually a danish family that saw my flag and picked my of and drove me the most of the way. It was just a little depressing that I'd came all the way to California to talk with dane, but I were of course thankful for the ride.
I stayed for 3 days in Santa Cruz at Linda I had found via the HC. They treated me really nice (as I think most people overhere does, compared to danish standarts) and showet me some vegan food (they were vegans - as the most of the rest of the altaernative city of Santa Cruz i guess). I spend all tuesday buying a camera, and I ended up in Fry's in San Jose... So this is the reason why I don't have pictures from before this day.
After being with Linda and her family I decided to get on the road. I tried to hitchhike on the freeway (the highway one) south, but I were a little bit late so I ran into rushhour and nobody wanted to get out of their cars, so they gave the finger instead. I don't think I were ment to be there, cause a motorcycle-cop also very fast came from the opposite lane and and turn around and kicked me of. So I couldn't really find out how I could come further south, but then I was lucky again that a boy who had lived the first 10 years of his life in Denmark saw my flag and he drove me to a better place to hitchhike south Watsonville. It was pretty freezing there and I was just about to give in, when an other boy(Matt) came an picked me up.
I hang out with him and his friends for 2 days in Monterrey, but it was kind of irritating that I'm under 21 - so I could not really join them when they were going out. Then I just felt like it was time to continiue my trip and then I did. I took me 2 hours to get the first ride and 2 hours to get the next. The second ride was some danish couple (again) on my age, who were on seigtseeing along the coast. It was were lucky for me, cause we couldn't have one more bag in their car... The funny thing about it was that he has served his duty the same place as me and on the same time - just in an other company and she had went to basic school with some freinds of my mothers son - wich I also had played with, when I were a kid. So the world s little. With my 3rd ride on this day I got a ride to San Louis Obispo, were I wanted to find a hostel. When I came to the hostel; it was totally booked, so I just hang out there to find out what to do. It ended with I slept at their couch at the hostel. The next day I was early out on the road and I one made to Solvang (a terrible danish-look-a-like-town... where danish people are coming and talking to eachothers that the danish food not taste like back home and it's even served by mexicans). A farmer picked me up outside Solvang and he asked if I were hungry - and I was. I stayed at his and his hospitality family's home the rest of the day. They were very interrested in hearing about Denmark, so I did my best to tell them.
I could even drive with his wife and son to Santa Barbara next morning - and so I did. I walked around in Santa Barbara and then I had heard that their sould be a lot going on at their collage - so I went out there. Though I actually was offered a ride to LA earlier by a couple (Adrien & Rene), that I litteraly ran into on the street.
On the collage I made on of the most stupidst dissisions in my life: I wanted to see if I could crash a party, so I dropped the idea of finding a hostel in Santa Barbara. I had just "forgot" that it was a monday and that nothing is happening on a monday. When I realised that it was too late, because the last bus had has it's departure... So I just walked around in this empty collage-town. About 2am I were just about to be lucky; I walked throug a students-house were the fire-alarm suddenly went on and everybody in the building ran out. I tried to sneak in together with the others, when the situation were under control. I tried to sleep at a couch, but some kind of an officer came and said to me that I should go back to my room - so I just went out of the building. The whole thing ended with me sleeping in a 24-hours restaurant for 1 hour and then I took the first bus in the morning to Santa Barbara and hitchhiked out of town. I were in LA about 11 am and after many hours of searching I found a hostel and went to sleep - I was totally wasted.
The next day I called a guy (Joe) that I had found on HC, he lived with 2 other roommates in Santa Monica. The fact that I were only 19 became once again an issue - because Joe was a really party-animal - and it made some hurdles, but he still got me in some place two times.. and I'm happy for that. I spend a week in Santa Monica and one of the days we even went out on snowboarding in the mountains north of LA one of the days.
I didn't really like LA that much, I think basicly it was because I didn't have a car in this huge city. Therefore I decided to move on towards New Orleans (originally I would have been going to San Diego, but I needed a break of big big cities).
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: