The falls - Argentina

Trip Start Jan 24, 2013
Trip End Apr 23, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Argentina  ,
Saturday, May 4, 2013

So we had the great delight of flying up to Iguazu from buenos aires. Gave us an extra night in BA and saved us a 40 hour bus journey!! We arrived Saturday afternoon to a torrential downpour, we had bumped into an English couple we had met in Puerto Natales, and by chance had met them in the cemetery in Buenos Aires they were also on the same flight as us!! We are not sure who the stalkers are!! So we shared a taxi to our hostels and organised to meet that night for some food.

We ended up going to the local pasta place which was more of a cafe and takeaway but food was amazing, the night was finished off with freddos ice cream!! Was nice to catch up on Dan and Heather's travels and swap stories and advice! They had been travelling for 9 months so we were mere novices!!!

So next day an early start to get to the falls on the Argentinian side, we have been fortunate to stay in some lovely places this trip but this was not one of them; mouldy shower ceiling and no hot water in he morning. We were glad it was only for one night!!

We dropped our bags at the bus station in preparation for crossing to the Brazilian side later that evening and took the bus out to the national park and the famous iguazu waterfalls!!

Right time for my usual facts paragraph!! 70% of the falls "fall" on the Argentinian side with the remaining other 30% Brazilian. There is an average water flow of 1,746 m3 Every sec. They are part of the 7 new wonders of the nature world.

So the park is split into 3 trails with different aspects of the falls. So on arrival we hopped on the park train with our intention to see the famous devils throat before the crowds increased. It's about 10 minutes walk to the falls and you begin to hear it and see the spray well before you get there, it's well worth the wait!! The noise is immense and it really is mesmerising to watch, it's the usual cattle market of people pushing and shoving to get the classic shot, could have spent hours but still plenty more to see.

Out next 2 trails took us to see smaller waterfalls but the viewing points took you closer to the action!! Really beautiful and the sun began to come out in time for some good rainbow shots

We had booked to do the boat tour which is a 12 minute ride which gets you as close as is safely possible to the falls!! Luckily we had done some research and we came equipped with some ponchos!! The staff provide you with a dry bag as well for your gear, so after everyone had had the opportunity to get the good snaps, all the cameras are put away and the boat heads into the falls!! I seemed to get away with a good seat as I was no where near as wet as Fi!! And neither were as wet as the family behind us with no ponchos and all wearing jeans!! A long afternoon to dry out for them!! Great fun.


After that it was time to leave and head back to the town to pick up our stuff attempt to have some more pasta (unfortunately for us it was shut....)and make the very short distance to the border crossing and into our 5th and final country this trip, Brazil!!!! 

We dropped off our gear and due to our rumbling bellys headed straight out for dinner. Our first Brazilian BBQ experience. For those from Aberdeen like tropiero without the green/red cards!! 

Love Ross & Fiona
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Kirsty Walker on

Yet again great facts Ross!

Your pictures look amazing did you manage to get a video clip?

Kirsty Walker on

Fiona you look hilarious in your poncho. :) xx

Alan Greig on

Great photos! Brings back happy memories of Victoria Falls.

Heather and Dan Twomey on

You look very sexy in your Ponchos, love from your Stalkers!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: