Nina: Back in the (former) USSR!

Trip Start Feb 02, 2010
Trip End Feb 02, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Estonia  , Harjumaa,
Thursday, August 12, 2010

So after washing our clothes, a long luxurious shower and sauna, an afternoon relaxing, doing little odds and ends including helping Kim repair his exhaust muffler that had snapped off after 500km of offroad riding in Siberia and being interviewed by a journalist friend of Mari's from a Finnish newspaper, we were feeling much more refreshed and energised. I was also in a much better mood. We slept in the ‘Mökki’ and on  Wednesday had a really nice day with Ari and Mari, pottering around the house getting everything back into order. 

 The silver box from Ernstl that sits on the back of the bike was very broken having served us brilliantly for many months as a very secure looking box. But all the rattling along for hours and hours had cracked it badly at the attachment points and after a few minutes of rain it would be full of water, which rarely seemed to dry out again, the smell was getting quite strong from the mould that was setting in to the chipboard hidden under the metallic foil and the foam lining was not pretty. So today we swapped it for a beer crate, kindly arranged by Mari and her boss at the supermarket. Felix mowed the lawn and we had one last meal with our lovely, cheery and kindhearted new Finnish friends before heading off around ten thirty PM. Although Mari claims to be a bad cook, after eating several of her banquets we don’t believe her.

 We rode for a few hours before stopping for a little rest. The sky was perfectly clear and beautiful - the first time we have seen it so nice in Finland - but we were still wearing our supersuits for the cold - the dark night and damp air was mighty chilling. We lay on the ground in the rest stop and ate M&Ms while watching for shooting stars and these strange, incredibly bright white blazes that kept appearing in the sky. 

 After a while we continued riding and kept going until well after midnight. We found a perfect little hidden place down a forest track where we set up our tent. After a lazy start this morning we casually continued in the direction of Helsinki - having decide to head back to Austria via the Baltic States. 

 In Helsinki our incredible luck showed itself again. As we got within thirty kilometres of the city we began looking for a place to sleep, we needed to find a waterproof bag for our stuff in the beer crate but were going to arrive to late for the shops to be open so we thought we would sleep a night just outside the city, then in the morning find a shop for the waterproof bag before catching the ferry to Tallinn, Estonia. However as we drove along we couldn’t find a place to sleep so we just kept driving and driving and eventually ended up right in the city.

 We stopped at a petrol station to refuel and after talking to a few people about the ferry decided to go to the terminal find out the times and cost, then go back out of the city to sleep and wait for the departure. Hopefully the next morning we could also find a camping shop with a waterproof bag.

 Finding the docks was easy thanks to the directions of a man at the petrol station but then working out which lane to follow and where the ferry to Tallinn actually went from was almost impossible and very stressful. Finnish roadworks are ridiculously confusing, we have gotten lost about six times trying to find our way through sections of roadworks while in Finland. As we drove around we suddenly found ourselves funnelled into a check in, more and more cars were pulling in behind us and we were trapped in and feeling very panicked. What if we were about to be funnelled into ship headed for the other side of the world! Amazingly the signs above the gates were saying Tallinn 22.00 - it was nine thirty. We didn’t have tickets but some friendly Estonian guy also in the line told us if it was not fully booked we could by tickets in the line. So after waiting no more than ten minutes we were on the ferry headed for Estonia. Just like that. I can’t believe what perfect timing. How on earth do things like that keep happening to us. I’m not sure whether I should start preparing for the biggest load of shit ever to hit the fan or accept that maybe the great conspiring universe isn’t out to get me as bad as I first thought. 

 But now after a two hour trip on a ridiculously bright and spotty painted ferry we are now in Estonia, camping in a little forest just out of the city. Having found this spot in the middle of the night which is sadly now dark at these hours, we’re not quite sure if this is an appropriate spot to stop. We read that camping in the forest here is pretty tolerated so hopefully we won’t be causing anyone any stress. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


mari on

Huh! What an adventure!
(you were only so hungry, that my cooking tasted at least something)
Hopefully there's no more rain in Baltic States!

Triin on

Hope you enjoy Estonia!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: