Felix's birthday & getting it back together
Trip Start Feb 02, 2010
97Trip End Feb 02, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
I was checking my emails a little down the hill from the open shed where we are camped and repairing Nina when Felix called out to me rather calmly “Floss, we’re not out of trouble yet.” Any positive attitude and up mood I had managed to muster that morning for mine and Felix’s sake was shattered
So we were back to square one in my mind, but to Felix this is only a setback in time, as everything else is good to go as far as we know. But we were still back to ordering parts from all over the world which takes over a week because of customs and tax. Norway has no stock of spare parts anywhere. I’m not going to try to explain the debacle of umming and aahhhring and botch job attempts to get us going again. The challenge of getting parts to Norway within a month is so freaking ridiculously hard I don’t know whether to laugh or cry - well actually that’s just a figure of speech - I know I want to cry. And thats when it was decided what to get. Geir and Stine have been so wonderfully kind and understanding of our need for cheap options and our desire to get going again promptly and have been really going way out of their way to help by calling their friends and professional contacts to see if anyone has something that could be a solution
Finally after two days of stuffing around deciding what to do, a decision has been made and hopefully tomorrow the order of parts we don’t want anymore and the wrong payment will be rectified and the parts will be en-route via a friend of Felix in Berlin as the company we are ordering from does not ship to Norway for tax and Customs reasons. The reason we are not ordering direct though the Ural dealer is that it entails longer Customs delays. The thread in the cylinder was destroyed, probably by the dodgy quick fixes all along the way with bad replacement studs and then trying to clean the thread. So we were going to use a Helicoil, then we were going to buy a new cylinder but that went out the window because of even more complicated screw ups by past mechanics, so it was back to a Helicoil to fix the destroyed thread in the cylinder. Hopefully the Helicoil is a success, (if not...oh my god, I honestly don’t know what I’ll do.) then when the new studs arrive in they go and away we go
I’ve decided, and Felix has agreed, we will give up on the dream of going to Lofoten to see whale bones and Tromso for the midnight sun. This is going to be that hardest thing for me to get over. Of all the places I’ve wanted to go, these two places have been absolute top priority, two of the few places in the world I really get arced up about and am genuinely interested in seeing are now off the program - unless we’re prepared to spend a lot of money. So thats it. I feel like it’s kind of over now. The main event has been cancelled, as good as the side shows are it’s just not what I came for. Felix thinks this is funny as I never planned Lofoten and Tromso as parts of this trip at the beginning, in fact we left with no plan, but I have built so much expectation and hope on these destinations. So as hard as it is, time to get over it and get what I can out of whats left. I remembered today how excited I was about doing some WWOOFing. The new plan is to head back to Germany and move around there where spare parts and breakdowns are less challenging. Which will be really good I hope I’m very excited about the whole idea of WWOOFing and being in big happy organic gardens outdoors. I have high expectations, which can be very dangerous.
Now in all this carry-on I have barely mentioned Felix’s birthday