Family: The day in Kas

Trip Start Mar 12, 2008
Trip End Mar 31, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Turkey  ,
Tuesday, March 25, 2008

We woke up this morning expecting wind and some rain, but we were pleasantly surprised by a sunny, warm morning. It didn't stay that way for long, but it really didn't make that much difference. We had no firm plans for the day, so lazed about the hotel and eventually got into town by late mid-morning. We were all rested, and Patty was in the mood for shopping, so we set out on our mission. The town was still rather pre-seasonal, so a  number of the shops were still closed, and those that were open were clearly not in the "business bargaining" spirit. We did see some lovely glass plates and scarves, but at somewhat outrageous prices. Still, we had fun. Wondering about after lunch, we happened upon a beauty salon / hair-dresser / barber / massage parlor, and this turned into one of those unexpected seminal experiences of the trip. Patty had wanted a pedicure, so Asher, Gracey, Hayley and I moved off to an adjoining park while she had her toes seen to. After returning, I was offered a haircut by the manager, while the person who had done Patty's toes started working on Hayley's, and then Gracey's hair, braiding and twisting. They (all three girls) ended up looking lovely, while I was having the cut of my (and my ears) life. After the usual trim, the barber had his own unique method of getting rid of ear and residual face hair - he had a short poker with some cloth on the end. He dipped it in methylated spirits and then lit. When he was sure it was hot enough, he then dabbed my ears with the flame!! Wow, my ears felt sterilized, not to mention hot and devoid of all remaining hair. I couldn't imagine any barber in the US using any similar techniques! At that point, I had a number of spectators standing around to  see if would have any body parts missing after the trim and clean-up. Asher declined the offer of a cut.
After that, it was a little more shopping, then back to the hotel. By now, the wind was blowing off the bay, and the sea was good and properly stirred up. The waves were crashing into the shore with huge plumes and walls of water shooting into the air. We all sat and watched from the private beach across from our hotel, waiting to get sprayed and having a great time.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: