The boat didn't sink!!!

Trip Start Mar 24, 2011
Trip End Apr 17, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , East Nusa Tenggara,
Thursday, April 7, 2011

we are alive! And I'm not gonna lie....I was a bit worried at times.

Soooo....our adventure to Komodo island (and eventually Flores) started off alright. Our hired driver got us to some random town in the middle of Lombok to meet the bus, and waited with us for an hour for the bus. First stress over. Now onto the adventure so first couple signs that this is going to be an interesting trip:
1. no room on the bus for us! Mike had to sit on a red plastic stool in the isle
2. Guy next to me counts 21 on the bus, but the boat only has capacity for 18?
3. Food stop: guy brings live chickens on the bus
4. Boat looks sketchy (I have a mild anxiety attack!)
5. one squatter toilet for all 21 plus crew!!

....oh and I forgot to mention, as I'm online the day before we left the internets tell me that a boat doing the same tour sunk!! SUNK! And that was the more expensive tour company!!!!! (hence the above mentioned anxiety)

Okay when you put all that aside, get over the sleeping on the deck under a tarp on a pencil thin mat, the trip was pretty cool. We had a good group of fellow backpackers, and a pretty decent crew. - ok an awesome crew, our stuff never got stolen and we didn't sink!!! So kudos to the crew.

The scenery sailing through all the islands, stooping at deserted beaches to swim, snorkel, hike was unreal. Not sure we would have got to see all that we did, any other way. The days were HOT! So that part was amazing, chilling on the boat, drinking a bin tang or two.

Then we got to the Komodo national park - and saw lots of a Komodo dragons..apparently we were lucky. But they seriously are just hanging out, there are no barriers - it is just a guide with a stick, and a dinosaur meters away! The first Komodo stop was on Komodo island , then the next day we went to Rinca island, for more Komodo trekking.but this one, I skipped out most of, after I saw like 7 komodos I was done. They let four of us who had enough of the mosses go back to the boat on our own..."it safe" says the guide, so we start walking, and right in the middle of the path is a freaking dragon!! But we slowly walk snaking him and made it!! Meanwhile (while I'm back suntanning on the boat) mike kept going for hours! That group, had to go bare foot through mud, and mike had to carry a 3 year old on his back! Covered in mud, he carried the little girl, as her parents were dying! And she slept the whole time (he is still bitter about that).

So all in all, it was quite the adventure! Despite the fact that almost every night would lie wide awake thinking that the next wave would send the boat over. The seas got pretty rough on the nights we sailed at night, and the last night it rained so hard the bottom deck flooded, so all 21 peeps crammed our mats on the upper deck to try and sleep.

So we are now on Flores for a day till we catch a flight back to Bali. And I still feel like I'm on a boat. ...And I don't think I'll get on a boat for a long time!!!

K. Now time to eat some food! We are excited for not boat food:)

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: