The jump-off point

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Little India

Flag of Singapore  ,
Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Singapore was a 30 hour bonanza.  Having just come from 5 days 200 miles out at sea without seeing land, let alone another boat or people, and then arriving in one of the busiest cities in the world was quite an experience.  We went from a 5 star dive boat with everything catered to you, to subways, crowded markets and very cheap hotels.  Overall, it wasn't bad, but next time we will be prepared to spend money in order to enjoy the city.  We barely made it out of Australia because the guy at the ticket counter demanded an onward ticket out of Singapore, which we did not have.  We made a mad dash for the internet cafe and bought $80 tickets to fly from Phuket in Southern Thailand to Chiang Mai in the north and luckily made the flight by the skin of our teeth.  We were so glad to be in Asia, but worried the same thing happened in LA to Adam and Ri.  Luckily they had no problem and we were so glad to see them them at the airport.  Finally, reunited.....we took the metro to the Little India section of Singapore and found one room available in the worst hostel ever.  The people were nice enough though and we were glad just to be somewhere and out of the rain.  We walked the markets and crashed out.  The next day we went to this amazing Orchid Garden where we saw thousands of beautiful orchids of every color imaginable.  We strolled through the park, sat and enjoyed the breeze and fantastic green tea while watching monkeys play in the trees surrounded by beautiful flowers.  Pretty nice way to get back to the peace and quiet we missed so much.  We ate dinner at the famous Banana Leaf Restaurant in Little India, where delicious curry is served on banana leafs and you eat with your hands, pretty awesome and great food.  We finished our Singapore dash walking the markets of Little India feeling more like being in India than Singapore before waking up at 3am to catch the train to Malaysia. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: