An Eventful Start (Day One: Part I)

Trip Start Aug 16, 2012
Trip End Oct 01, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Friday, August 17, 2012

Like most people do before a trip, I was somewhat scrambling to get everything organized hours before my flight would depart for London. Once most of what I was bringing was stuffed into the three bags - the main backpack, a smaller backpack, and a large duffel bag, I still had one decision left to make: whether or not to bring my old HP laptop. It would be convenient to have with me, but I would have to deal with the extra weight and bulk. In the end, I decided not to bring it with me. My bags were already heavy enough as it is! Though it might have saved me some trouble once I would arrive in England... but more on that later.

After saying my goodbyes at the airport, I was finally off to Europe! The flight was fairly good - albeit long. Seven or eight hours into the flight was when it was starting to get uncomfortable. I couldn't sleep at all, even though I was planning on doing so. Near the end of it, I was feeling a bit nauseous and needless to say made sure there was the paper bag nearby just in case. However, once we landed, by stomach settled down. Perhaps I was relieved that I had made it safely to England! On the descent, I saw glimpses of the English countryside - rolling green hills and farms; just how I imagined.

I was feeling good walking from the arrivals area to customs. This was just the very start of an incredible adventure that I'm very fortunate to be on. However, my heart sank once I reached customs. After a close to ten hour flight, the last thing I wanted to see was the enormous line-up waiting to get through customs. It seemed like the longest line ever, and it took roughly 45 minutes for me to finally reach the counter.

The customs officer, a middle-aged blonde lady, seemed nice but once we started talking, I had a feeling something was wrong. As I was answering her questions, she kept writing down what I said with a concerned look on her face. She asked for evidence of my travels (itineraries, train tickets, receipts, bank statements, etc.) and I didn't have any physical copies on me. The only things I had were loaded on my Ipod Touch which didn't work since there was no Wifi (though thinking back, I could have shown her my itinerary, which was an Excel file that could have been accessed, however I guess I wasn't thinking clearly after the long journey). This is where my laptop may have come in handy as I had more proof of my travels on there.

Suddenly, she hands me a slip of paper. I read it, and it saw the word Detained with a check beside it. She took my passport and Eurail pass and led me to a holding pen in the middle of the customs area. She asked for my parents' phone numbers and said she was going to try to contact them. By now everyone from my flight had long left and I was worried about my checked-in backpack on the carousel. I was hoping that it would still be there once I made it through. I waited in that pen for what seemed like a long time (probably around 30-40 minutes) as she talked to a group of officers in a back room overlooking the area. I could see inside as the walls were glass, and the other officers kept looking over at me from time to time.

Two border security agents, a young man and woman, arrived and brought me upstairs to look for my backpack. When we got to the carousels, there was nothing left. I started to worry, but the agents didn't seem alarmed. They walked me over to the pile of leftover baggage, but I didn't see it there either. As we were walking away, a man overheard us, and asked if the bag had been in a plastic bag (which it had been). I said yes, and he quickly brought my backpack out from the back room! The plastic bag was torn, but the backpack was fine. I grabbed it and the agents took me to a table where they told me they would have to search through all my stuff. One by one, they started taking every single item out of my bags. We chatted about my travels and they were very pleasant and understanding the whole time. I guess they were used to doing this regularly, while I was a little shaken by the whole ordeal.

After going through my things and putting it all back, they brought me back downstairs for further questioning. The customs officer would be back shortly and I was again put back into the holding pen. A short while later, the two agents came back saying that the officer couldn't reach my parents and said I was free to go. I was so relieved - also because I knew my parents were worried enough as it was without having to receive a call from UK Border. One of the agents asked how I was getting to London and then gave me directions to the Gatwick train station. I thanked them and said goodbye. I couldn't have been happier walking towards the station; I was finally free to explore Europe!
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Jimmy on

Wow! I never had an experience with that crossing any border be in Europe or in Asia? I'd be just as frazzled by all this treatment but then a bit annoyed. I suppose having a print out of your return flight might have eased their concerns. At least all your clothes and underwear were clean for their search.

Kathy on

Wow is right! Sounds like you handled yourself and the situation very well. Good for you! I knew you were ready for this adventure! I am so proud! Just like Uncle to question you about your clean underwear! You know how those old folks are....

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: