Paper Bark Lodge to Jo'burg

Trip Start Jul 25, 2008
Trip End Aug 26, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of South Africa  ,
Sunday, August 24, 2008

As I said in the previous entry I am now sat on the balcony at the lodge looking over miles of bush hoping to see an animals. The sun has just come up and there are birds everywhere announcing the start of another cloudless day. This lodge is the sort of place you see advertised at home - it is in the middle of no-where, surrounded by bush and is made completely of wood with a thatched roof. I slept upstairs with the children (we were all up to see the sun rise!) - even the shower in our room has a view over the bush!

Today is the last day of our trip and its lovely getting up and not having to sort out the camp and take down tents! The trip has reached beyond my expectations, we have had so much fun and covered so much ground - just over 6000 km! There has been so many highlights - the beach, the lake, the game, the campsites ........ - and so many things to overcome - the Davies trailer, getting stuck in the sand, the terrible roads, injuries ........ - but we have all survived, some better than others! We have decided it wasn't a holiday at all as far too much work was involved, but we have had an adventure, one we are all keen to repeat - maybe Namibia!?

I am now back in bed in Jo'burg with the electric blanket on! Its actually not as cold here as it was three weeks ago but compared to our recent temperatures, it is cold! We have just been to Nandos (yum!) and I have just checked my email (209 - mostly deleted!).
After breakfast this morning we went on a game drive around the lodge. We saw lost of animals including kudu, impala, bushbuck, waterbuck, zebra and wildebeest (which amazingly I have not seen on this trip!). After the drive we got into our cars for the drive back to the city, Greg rode his bike down the hill to the gate an we all followed behind. On the way we found proof that leopards are about - Kath spotted some paw prints in the sand! We know they were fresh as they were over the top of our tyre tracks from yesterday - even more there were two sets - we should have done the night drive last night!!
The drive back to Jo'burg took about 3 hours, on the way we stopped for toasted sandwiches - I had the S.African choice of bacon and banana, which was actually quite yummy! We dropped the trailer off at the Baths and then took me back to Flora and Dave's. We had had a message from Flora yesterday that their bedroom ceiling had collapsed due to the water tank. Little did we know but was the whole ceiling and the room is a complete mess - nightmare! We went to Nandos for something to eat, like I said, and I am now lying in bed - its very quiet, in fact it has not been this quiet for 3 weeks, lets hope I sleep for a long time, but I bet I am awake with the sun!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: