Mount Bromo

Trip Start Feb 10, 2011
Trip End Jul 29, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , East Java,
Sunday, February 27, 2011

We had another long drive to Mount Bromo. The roads got very bad as we started driving uphill. I had been having a nap and when I woke up there was THICK cloud and visibility was about a metre or two, not only this, we were driving up against the side of a cliff. I was a bit worried and asked what was going on. Now, what I hadn't been told was that Mount Bromo is active and CURRENTLY erupting - and we were driving towards it!! I had a massive freak out and we were all concerned and considered driving back. We decided to drive to the accommodation then consider what we should do. The clouds that we had been driving through was a combination of regular clouds and ash in the air. It was clearer at the hotel but the roads and buildings were covered in thick black ash. I was really scared but everyone else in the group thought it would be fine to stay, after all we wouldn't be allowed there if it was too dangerous. They gave us mouth/nose masks to that we wouldn't inhale the fumes.

That evening there was a powercut and the whole place blacked out so we had to walk around with candles and eat by candlelight! We went to bed and had to get up at 3.30am in the morning so we could go to a viewpoint for sunrise.

It was pouring with rain and very cold - about 2 degrees celsius. We got in a jeep with a man who didn't speak English. He was just turning the jeep around when the engine failed and wouldn't start again. There was a steep slope behind us so I grabbed the door handle and opened it just incase we started rolling backwards!! After about 10 minutes, he had somehow fixed the engine and we drive up to the viewpoint in the pitchblack. One of the jeep's headlights was broken and the windscreen wipers were bad, we were driving up the side of a cliff and the driver kept swerving to the edge and there was really thick cloud! Me and Bluebell were sitting in the front and absolutely petrified, we squeezed each others hands really tight! We got out near the top, there was thick cloud and it was pouring with rain. We had a few torches between us and the walk to the viewpoint took about 45 minutes. After about 20 minutes, there was a huge rumbling - like really loud thunder but we all knew it was the volcano. I was so scared and got really panicky, but the group reassured that this was normal!? So we got to the viewpoint and it got light about 5am - but the cloud was so thick and it was still raining so we never saw anything!! Cold and soaking, we walked back down and jeep took us back.

Without a doubt, the scariest moment of my life!! I thought I was going to die a horrible death from the volcano!! Looking back, I was being very paranoid and we wouldn't have been allowed up if it wasn't ok!

We then had 15 hours of travelling in car, train, boat and then another car to Lovina in Bali.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sue on

Sounds like a trip we did in Bali but without the ash! Craters for potholes and lorry drivers who don't care if anything else is on the road, bit like England really!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html:

Table of Contents