Koh Bulone: A journey of hell to heaven on earth.

Trip Start Mar 18, 2009
Trip End Jan 12, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Pansand Resort

Flag of Thailand  , Satun,
Monday, November 16, 2009

The last two stormy nights on Koh Lanta had whipped the ocean before us into a torrent. From afar, passing speedboats seemed to cruise effortlessly along, lulling us into a false comfort. As that morning we both were about to embark on what can only be labelled as a 3.5 hour journey from hell.

Waiting at the port, the water was extremely calm, the sun finally broke through the dark matter in the sky. It was bliss. We boarded the overly packed speedboat. Luggage was nearly overflowing from the front seating area. No seats were left inside, so we opted to sit out front and soak up some sunshine. What a mistake that turned out to be!

As we set off, the water in the distance seemed to shimmer like a heat haze. As we got closer we could see the water was extremely choppy. It was almost as if we hit a brick wall. A sharp thud, some air time and a huge spine breaking crash followed. We had now entered the point of no return. It was almost as if someone had cruelly flicked a switch and the conditions suddenly changed. In an instance both our and the other 4 passengers sitting in the front knew we were in for a rough ride.

The waves were a couple of metres in height, sometimes higher than the boat as we sped in between their wake.  We constantly lept from the water like a giant fish and belly flopped back to earth. It was actually painful at times, especially when the luggage kept crashing into us. I put a brave face on things, but Emma headed back inside to escape the bashing.  There was nothing we could do, we were only 10 minutes or so into our journey and there was over 3 hours remaining. Emma summed it up really, she uttered the words "I would rather be at work than here!", a first on our travels.

We considered getting off the boat early and staying on another island, but we heard beautiful things about Koh Bulone, so stuck to our guns and completed the journey. Such relief was felt when we dropped anchor and a longtail boat collected us. Some passengers uttered to us with anguish as we left, "Is this Koh Lipe". Unfortunately they had another hour or so to go, but I didn't have the heart to tell them. Emma cried with relief as we made it to dry land. What an ordeal. Something we will never forget in a hurry.

Our bungalow was literally a stones thrown (well more like an underarm throw) from the sea. When the tide came in, it lashed against the pathing stones by our porch.  It was utterly beautiful. That night we were treated to yet another full blown storm. Hopefully this will be the last and a nice clear day will follow in the morning.

Morning broke on our first full day and our prayers had been answered. Blue skies, crystal clear water and funnily enough loads of hermit crabs (maybe they heard about my work on Koh Yao Yai). I couldn't resist and took some photos, before we set off on a lovely walk along the beach.  The sea was perfect and teaming with fish. Perfect for a snorkelling session or two.  That evening we sat with a beer, played cards and read our books. Life moves at a snails pace here, just what we wanted.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


rfbevis on

Well the adventures go on and on...... It will be so different back in the real world. Still time for much more before then.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: