The final countdown

Trip Start Jan 16, 2009
Trip End May 26, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Roof View Place

Flag of Thailand  ,
Tuesday, May 26, 2009


We're nearly there, so you might want to read this slowly, to stave off the withdrawl symptoms that are surely going to blight your life for the next 4 months at least.
Here goes,

We got to the train station suitably early, so as not to miss a Train in Thailand again. The station was suitably empty except for a few monks and people who like us were erring on the side of timely caution.
When the train arrived they first hosed down the whole outside of the train, which froma distance did make it look shiney and clean, but not so much close up.
When we bought the tickets the man ensured us it was seats but that you could lie flat on them (we thought much like the sleeper buses in Laos hopefully). Turned out they were just seats. They did recline somewhat, but nowhere near flat. Ah well, as promised we did get a meal included in our ticket price. It was some rice and egg and some dubious looking meat, that was VERY spicy. Emma White didn't test it before putting it all over her rice and broke out in a sweat from the chillies, especially on her nose, as is the way.
We got some nice white blankets and were ready to go.
The train moved off on time and everything! but about 50m out of the station it stopped. And reversed.
There were loads of police on board, one of them wasn't in uniform and had an overly large badge around his neck, they checked random Thai peoples ID cards, but totally ignored us. Didn't even look at us let alone ask to see our passports or tickets.
Eventually they got off or something and the train again moved outof the station, the whole thing took about 40mins so didn;t delay us too much.

Journey definatley wasn't the most comfy, but also wasn't the worst. We were really tired from our Chang Mai adventure times so passed out asleep pretty much.

We got into Bangkok at 9.30am, and got attacked by tuktuk taxi men at the train station. Ahh to be western and with massive bags, they just can;t stay awy from us!
We ended up in a taxi which had no meter despite saying it did, ah well we negociated a decent price from him and got to Samsen Soi Hok and our very nice boutique hotel, Roof View Place. We have air con and a tv and a fridge for the first time since vietnam and it is awesome, also not 2hours away from central bangkok like the first time we came here. Oh yes we've got this hotel thing sussed now. 10mins walk from Khao San Road and the backpacker hubbub.

We'd got to Bangkok on the Sunday so we could go to the Chatuchuck Weekend Market. It is perhaps the biggest market in the whole world. We got a nice air con bus to it and everything.
At the market it's best to have a plan, but despite Emma W having a list we got waylaid. It's just so big and our map was so poor and it was so busy we just got lead around by the crowds. We tried our best to get all the things on the list and indeed did have some successes. But the sheer size of the market, and the heat and then the rain and then the heat again meant we lasted about 2hours there before running away!
I (ER) have been trying to lose my cheapo 2pounds tesco flip flops for the entireity of the trip to give me an excuseto buy some nice ones, and on the way into the market some stupid woman stood on the back of my flip flops, which as they were very cheap and also by now very battered, crumbled under the pressure. It took me far too long to buy some new shoes so instead of walking around half barefoot EW bought some new shoes, much more easily and lent me her old ones. Logically.

The bus back to Khao San seemed to take forever to come but when it did it was indeed air con (its the luck of the draw which turns up first) and in the traffic we were glad we'd not taxied.

On Khao San we had some lunch, did a bit more shopping admired the sights. We bumped into 2 of the 3 mancs who were following us up vietnam for the whole time we were there, what are the chances!
Emma White made me watch the whole of the formula one again, there were by far not enough crashes, but Monaco is a pretty cool place. Well done mr Button.
We watched Hull City Vs Man Utd as well, thank goodness hull are staying up, despite losing.
We met some Aussies and had a few beverages and then got taken bu a tuktuk to see nighttime Bangkok, the tuk tuk was terrifying but the show was funny.

Today we stayed in the hotel whilst it was hot, had our last bit of sunworshipping on the roof and made our way to Khao San for the last souvenir buying. IT was quite a successful day.

Now we need to pack and sleep before catching our flight at 9am... and then... I am afraid, dear readers, it is all over.

Love Emmas
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: