Waterfall adventurers!

Trip Start Jan 16, 2009
Trip End May 26, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sarika Guesthouse, Luang Prabang

Flag of Lao Peoples Dem Rep  ,
Monday, May 18, 2009


So, Luang Prabang. we arrived there and decided to do the trick of me (EW by the way) sitting in a cafe and Raywood wandering off to find somewhere to stay. Whilst doing this she came across Ambrine and Ruth who we were with in Vang Vieng, Halong Bay and other points in Vietnam and Cambodia. So we went to stay where they were staying, for ease. We didn't do a lot after this as it was already getting late and the very strictly timed 6pm thunderstorm was about to come along. These are very impressive, it turns the road into a proper river within 5 minutes.

the next day we all went to have breakfast/lunch and then went to the waterfall along with a couple of other English girls, Aliena and Holly who we found at breakfast. It was quite a way, an hour in a tuk tuk each way, not bad for 2 pounds each! When we got there there was a bear sanctuary (for some reason) and then the waterfall. This was pretty spectacular, the water was an amazing shade of blue, and, freezing cold as we soon found out when we went in. Was a bit of a shock after the temperature of the seas we have been in. There were many levels to it and when we'd climbed to the top someone told us you could go even further. So we did. This meant we actually did some scrambling up a muddy cliff thing for ages. It was knackering and took for ever but was worth it as it was amaaaazing in the top pool. We frolicked for a while and jumped off rocks (well, I did, Raywood is a pansy) and went under waterfalls until we got too cold to keep going. So we wandered back down a different way, which turned out to be much easier than our way up. Damn.

We got back to our guesthouse, had a shower and went for some street food, to y'know, do "the local" thing, as we do every now and again. We had a very nice vegetable buffet thing and finished it off with a slab of chicken each off the bbq (as it turned out BIG MISTAKE). Later we went to a bar to have a few drinkies and chatted to a load of other traveller types. Then as 11pm hit the bar closed, as is the fashion in Laos with the strict 11pm curfew. Although here there is a bit of a difference as there is one place that stays open much later. Nope not a club, but, a bowling alley..... So we put on out Happy Days 50s era America style hats and all went bowling. The place was rammed with westerners. There was only 8 lanes but luckily me and Em managed to get on one with a load of people we'd been chatting to. I did quite well, after a late comeback I came joint second and Em finished spectacularly last. Haha :)

The next day we decided to climb a hill. and make it last all day as we didn't have much else to do. We'd lost the other girls as they'd gone off to do elephant trekking. We went in the heat of the day (always a good idea) and it took forever to climb not a particularly big hill. However I wasn't feeling too great, and it wasn't even from the drinking the previous night, there were some suspicious stomach cramps occurring. Never a good sign. Anyway the hill was very nice from the top, there was a good view and we lit some incense for the buddha. When we got back down we wandered around for the afternoon and went to do some shopping at the really very nice night market, we also booked a slow boat for the next day. This boat would take 2 days and all the way to the Thai border. And sounded very nice.

That night I got ill, damn chicken.... well you can imagine, and the next day we set out for the boat. I had had no sleep and dosed up to the eyballs with Immodium and paracetamol and generally not feeling on top of the world. The boat was pretty horrific, it took 9 hours to get to the half way town and the wooden benches were tiny and really uncomfortable, I chose to nap on the floor instead. The scenery was very pretty but I wasn't paying much attention, I was paying more attention to the paracetamol, of which we didn't have very many so had to steal some off an random English girl, and at one point missed the overlap of doses so had to spend half an hour with agonising stomach cramps waiting for the next lot to kick in :( boo hoo. At Pak Beng, the halfway town we went into the first guesthouse we found, which turned out to be quite nice, albeit with no hot water. We didn't do much here as I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, had some food in the restaurant downstairs, well I had some dull chips, which turned out to a be another mistake as I threw them up not too long after, pfft damn chicken.... The next day we continued on the boat. For another 10 hours, not the most fun time we've ever had. The boat had to stop at one point because the timely evening storm blew up and there was a danger we were going to capsize!! Apart from that small incident it was pretty uneventful and arrived in the border town of Huay Xai that evening. Again, didn't do much (still ill) and stayed in a bit of a dive of a gueshouse, couldn't cross the border right then as it was too late.

So this morning (feeling a little better) we got the boat across the river and into Thailand, the last country on the tour, but maybe save all that fun for next time.

Love Emmas xxx
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


helenraywood on

Monica's Magical Medicine
Emma R - did you not give poor Emma the MMM? She would have felt better in no time!
Hope she is feeling better now :) Looking forward to seeing you soon.xxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: