In The Tubing

Trip Start Jan 16, 2009
Trip End May 26, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
The Other Side

Flag of Lao Peoples Dem Rep  ,
Friday, May 15, 2009

Vang Vieng, ahhh only a few hours from Vientiane so we got a more local style of bus than the king of bus, which was fine.

V V itsself is a backpacker mecca, there are many many guesthouses, on the bus we met a guy who'd been before and he showed us to a bungalow resort, where we got a very nice bungalow with an ensuite and a river view for pennies! pennies! Across a precarious bridge though.

The thing to do in V V is tubing, this involes sitting in a tyre tube and floating down the river, quite thoughtfully there are bars all teh way down the bank, so infact it's a floating pubcrawl somewhat. We arrived perhaps too late to tube that day though so resolved to tube the next!

Another thing big in V V is friends bars. These are cafes which show the entire serieses of friends back to back, all day everyday. We had a big fat burger for tea at one of these establishments and it was good. We decided we should go socialise and meet people on this fine evening so followed some music to a place called the rock bar, there were no people there as such, but there was 1 free beer each and hammocks. excellent. Hilariously there was a drink menu (wiskey, beer, vodka etc) and a drugs menu (weed, mushrooms, opium (!!) etc), drugs aren't as illegal in good ol communist Laos.
Eventually we bored of the fact the bar was empty and after emma talked to some people passing it turned out Smile bar was the place to be. We found smile and we found pepole, inculing some who had been here for months, tubing every single day. It was a pink party night, but we had no idea and wore no pink, emma manged to pilfer a tshirt from somewhere to get a reduced price bucket, excellent. We partied until the curfew and then perhaps some more. We met Ambriene and Ruth and some of the guys from Halong Bay weeks ago, it was excellent.

Perhaps too much partying, we had a lie in the next day and stumbled into a friends bar for brunch later on in the afternoon. We didn't get to tube that day either, but it was raining so prob for the best. Later on we went to the internet and discovered EW was having some unforeseen issues with phone bills and money. The best course of action is always to ignore these problems and have spaghetti bolognaise, so I (ER) did just this, and the spaghetti bolognaise was very very good. We didn't make the same msitake as last night and went to bed early and sober so as to facilitate tubing the next day.

The next day, we did indeed tube. There aren't any photos of this as we didn't want to take anything we liked that was electronic to the river. We wore bikinis and sarongs, put our money in plastic bags and off we set. To breakfast!
We ate and then went and hired our tubety tube. Being stingy we hired one tube between two, it is the dry season after all, one person was required to push the ohter off the rocks...
Tubing was brilliant.
We danced and swam and EW went on a rope swing TWICE (i'm far too much of a pansy for such things) And we tubed until it was dark and then decided to seek other transport to get bck to the town, so loaded the tube on to a tuk tuk. Somewhere along the river my Sarong gave into the currents and went underwater never to be seen again, this meant despite my best efforts i had to walk through town  in just my bikini, like all the signs tell you is bad. oh dear, how embarrasing. That and we were covered in permanent marker saying our names, oh dear.

After a wash, with a frog that had appeared in our ensuite. Infact our hut was a zoo almost, there was a tarty cat who kept coming round getting under our feet, rats living in the roof who fought all night long. That and the usual cockroaches and lizards.

We went to the aussie bar and had the best fish and chips (see we're down with the local food... ahem) , THE BEST fish and chips. We had some more beverages and dancing and went to sleep at quite a reasonable hour, exhausted from all the tubing.

Next day we successfully didnt go to a cave like we'd intended and just chilled out, EW read about 56 books in 2 hours. and we booked a bus to Luang Prabang for the next morning.
The journey to LP was fine, beautiful scenery and a very small minibus, with all our bags strapped to the top. Well we thoguht all our bags were strapped to the top, when we got here it turned out our designer tailor made clothes bag was on a different minibus. We had an anxious 45min waiting for the other bus, but thankfully our bag was on it.
More about Luang Prabang next time!!

Love Emmas
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: