Wet Wet Wet (not the band)

Trip Start Jan 16, 2009
Trip End May 26, 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of China  , Guangxi Zhuang,
Thursday, March 5, 2009

"Hi Everybody"
Right what have we been up to, the last night in Xiamen we went wild and spent the night in our room sewing. I (EW) was once again sewing up a hole in my trousers (I swear I have done more sewing in China than I ever have in my life as this is the second time I have fixed that hole! Also I had to fix my bra as the underwire had escaped. My mother would be proud....) Emma had got her granny hat on and bought a cross-stich to do, so like I said, it was wild.
We left the next morning to go to the bus station, only when we were on the bus we discovered that we had left the bible that is the LP next to the computer in the last hostel. Failtards. So now we are travelling blind for the most complicated part of the China part, getting into Hong Kong. Oh dear. The bus itself was a sleeper bus, which was an experience, and not the clean kind. The sheets didn't seem like they'd ever been washed, the bus itself was cold, and all the Chinese on it were watching this variety show on the tv which they LOVED and kept quoting along to, and singing. Which wasn't great because even the women singing in it couldn't really do that, she tried to sing the Titanic theme and managed to miss every single word and every single note going, bravo.
So 20 hours later we arrived in Guilin at 5am, where it was raining, we then proceeded to wake up the entire hostel getting in, oops. We found in our room the Germans we found in Hangzhou a couple of weeks ago, and woke them up too, they think we're stalking them. After a nap we got up, found it was still raining and went to explore the "Solitary Beauty Peak" which was a big hill with a pretty view, including a hilarious tree at the bottom of it. Also the "Reed Flute Cave" which was pretty awesome with some stalagtites and stalagmites, it also had  back story for the whole thing in typical Chinese fashion. Some of the animals etc were a bit of a stretch to be seen, see photos for proof of that. But at the end there was a light show with awesome Chinesey music and bubbles.
That night we went to a restaurant and had a set menu meal thing. Mine wasn't too bad as it was just goose in sauce with rice but Raywoo had some really spicy thing and a soup that contained one chicken foot, she was none too impressed and didn't try it. See photo for her I'mnotimpressedface.
The next day we went for some Rice Terrace action. We set of at 8:30 in a tour that contained some Chinese and some Westerners. The guide was pretty good as he spoke both languages. We ended up in a little village to begin with where the women never cut their hair and wear funky clothes. They are paid by the government or something to keep all their old style customs for touists. So they spend their time harrassing tourists to buy their bracelets etc. Especially at the moment as it is the off season. The guide tried to persuade us to see a traditional long hair show, what this actually consisted of we don't know as we refused to pay more than we already had (which was quite alot) to see some long hair. Anyway we then got back on the bus and went up to see the stunning views of rice terraces which stretched for miles around, and what we found was, a massive cloud. They did warn us it was the rainy season... We hiked up for about half and hour in the cloud and ended up actually above it. So luckily it wasn't a total waste of money as we did get some good shots of the rice. There must be brilliant views though when theres no cloud... Ah well after we got back to the hostel we had some dinner and had another wild night of sewing, Em was still on her cross-stich and I contemplated repairing my trousers for a THIRD time (different place this time) but decided to just chuck them instead and survive on one pair. In addition on that was the last night my camera worked. For some inexplicable reason the flash has completley stopped working. Which is really annoying as if I can't find anyway it fixed I'll have to buy yet another camera. I hate cameras. And they hate me apparently. At least this time it wasn't my fault and I didn't drop it or anything. It just died. Stupid thing.
So today we decided to wander round the "Seven Star Park" so named as the seven peaks in it are meant to form the shape of Ursa Major. Not something that can really be appreciated from the ground however. It was a nice walk though (despite the rain) and we saw MONKIES! We thought they were wild for a minute and got really excited but they are kind of kept by the park as they are fed by them. But they get to roam around the trees so its pretty cool (when they are not being forced to dress up and stand on a plith for photos that is). We then sw the Camel Hill which was literally a hill which looked like a camel. No back story or anything, how dissapointing.
Anyway then we went back to hotel and grabbed our bags to head an hour away to Yangshou, which we just arrived in. But thats for another day.
Until next time xx
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: