I am the worst blogger ever

Trip Start Sep 04, 2010
Trip End Nov 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  , Kanchanaburi,
Monday, August 22, 2011

I can't even remember the last time I wrote in this.

Have been up all night with a puppy so no time like the present hey!

Last few weeks have been a bit of a blur really, running this sanctuary is not good for the brain I swear!

I had a dog brought in yesterday morning that had been poisoned but it had been 2 days already and the poor thing was completely out of it. I managed to get him on a drip and then me and Miggi (a fantabulous volunteer) both said goodbye and put him to sleep.

We lost one of our own puppies recently the same way.. Or at least I can only guess that it was poison. Panna, a gorgeous 7 month old boy with 2 sisters- their mum also died from poison. They came to the sanctuary while they were still inside their mum, she had had boiling water thrown on to her so Gemma cleaned her wounds every day and then she had babies!
Now I know I am slightly biased but these 3 pups are the most beautiful little things, very fox like and delicate features and also wouldn't bark at a fly. 
So when this happened with Panna my heart lurched. (more than usual)
The rat poison here is lethal. It's the worst way to die. Internal bleeding, hallucinations, loss of bodily functions, seizures. 
I wish I could show people footage of what this does to the dogs but I know it wouldn't make the slightest bit of difference. 
So Panna, beautiful little Panna, he hung on for 2 days. We gave him Vitamin K which in large doses has proved beneficial in some research I read as it helps the blood to clot. Gave a mild sedative to calm him down as he was terrified and his pupils were so large that you could tell he was seeing things.
His temperature kept shooting through the roof so we were putting ice packs around him.
And his situation kept going back and forth, improving and then getting worse.
By the time I knew for sure I had to put him to sleep, I knew it was too late. That I should have done it sooner. 
So frustrating. I wish there were guidelines for when is the right time to do this type of thing. You do it before the animal is in immense pain and screaming or you do it when you can tell from his eyes that he's begging for it to be over.

So I had to put him to sleep and it was horrible. More than horrible. 
Its not something you can describe with words.


We've had some nice things happen also.. Had 2 of our puppies adopted by a teacher at the Baan Unrak School. She seems lovely and when we visited them yesterday- the day after she took them! They had big round bellies full of food and didn't try to run away with us so that was a good sign!

We've had a dog at the school called Dummy that had a rotten tail, the girls took her to Sai Yok whilst I was doing my visa run and they completely fobbed them off. Dummy's tail was completely dead and was going to kill her but they decided to bandage it up, wack the girls with a huge vet bill and send them off home. I think I got back 2 days after this and first of all it took me over 2 hours to remove the bandaging because her tail was so rotten and she just screamed despite being dosed up on pain killers and sedatives. 
The first thing that hit me was the smell.. nothing should ever ever smell like that.
Then the more I unwrapped the bandage the more I felt cold hard dead flesh. It was actually coming away from the bone and bits of muscle were exposed at the base of the tail. Never seen anything like it.
When she could, Dummy was turning around and trying to chew it off. And I don't blame her. The bloody dog knows better than the vet.
Was furious. Especially as I know they wouldn't have even attempted to do that with me. 
So it was decided that we were going to take her back to see another vet in Kanchanaburi. It's another 1-2 hours on the journey but if it means having a vet that actually cares about his work and the welfare of the dog not just lining their pocket then I'd travel further. 
And this guy was fantastic. He amputated her tail and had the biggest smile! 
And the vet bill including an over night stay was still less than at Sai Yok.

So now she is bouncing around the school with a little stump that she can still wag- sort of
and looks better than before if i'm honest!
I think the extra attention has done her good!

So now i'm with a puppy. Not just any puppy, this is a toy dog puppy. So it's legs are about as long as my little finger. And i have small hands.
And this puppy looks like it may have parvo which is easily prevented with a vaccine that we give! 
And I can't put her on a drip because the catheters are longer than her legs. 
So she's had a minute dose of antibiotics, been dripping water into her mouth using a syringe, have her hugging a plastic water bottle with warm water in to keep her warm. And other than that I haven't the foggiest what to do. 
 It is also 7.30 and my housemates are awake getting ready to go and teach. 
Im sat here scratching my mossie bites and cuddling a ball of fluff that I don't know what to do with. Oh it's an odd one.

What else has been going on... 
Lots really but a lot of it is very sad and sometimes it gets depressing having to go over these things.. I mean I already go over them in my head but putting it into words is just exhausting.

Far better to keep up to date with doing this blog!
Then at least a few people can know what I'm doing!

Think it's time for another coffee. 

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: