Getting back on track

Trip Start Sep 04, 2010
Trip End Nov 02, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Sunday, October 10, 2010

Okay so last few days have been pretty shit...
Sick dog has been steadily getting worse and is now throwing up over and over.
We ran out of blankets, and it literally takes about an hour to clean just one in a bucket. Water pressure is terrible and you have to brush it on the ground to clean whatever off.
The floor was covered in god knows what and it's just been really hard to keep on top of things around the sanctuary.
Potato has no control of her bladder etc so she goes to the toilet where she is. And things have just not felt as good, not felt as positive...we've had no time to try to look for fundraising or anything and the list of dogs we need to visit daily is growing. Sometimes it's too much for just 2 people to keep on top of and then I think of how I am leaving in a couple of weeks and Gemma has all this on her own. THAT worries me.

I am also terrible at keeping up with doing this blog.

We have a new dog at the sanctuary...he is called Monkey. We found him at the temple opposite the bakery where I haven't been before. Most of the dogs come outside of the grounds so we had no real reason to go in but it's a good job we did. Every dog in there had a limp, i'm not even exagerrating some had had obvious breaks and some may have been a sore paw but they all limped. We were passing a couple of kids and Gemma said are there any sick dogs and they took us over to what looked like a toilet being built and there was a dog on the ground. I actually thought it was dead, it wasn't moving even when we were stood over it and when Gemma lay her hand on his chest. Luckily he was alive! They said not eating or drinking and I just scooped him up in my arms and we rushed him back to the sanctuary.
Without knowing what he had we can't risk it being parvo or distemper or any other highly contagious disease so we put him in the cage right at the back. He was incredible weak and anaemic and it was pouring it down. All we could do at the time was shelter him, offer food and water and assess him the following day. There is no shelter for us to look at him out there and the main sanctuary area is just far too full to even look at him in there.
He is now looking much brighter, he has been front-lined so he's very priviliged! His ears are covered in these little ticks, so much so you can barely see any skin. And he had more fleas than even Flea had! I didn't think it were possible. He eats very little and vomits. So we need to take some blood tomorrow and see if the nice man in the hospital can check for blood parasites for us.

We have a few new faces on the nightly street dog dinner run. One being a mother dog who looks as if she is only just 6 months old. She has no puppies anymore...we aren't sure what happened but it was very recent as her milk hasn't dried up yet. She was very very thin when we first met her and is slowly starting to fill out. She has caught ringworm so has a few sores which are really prominent against her black fur. She also has scabies so she's having the works at the moment to make her feel better, but she's a lovely girl, never stops wagging her tail even when she's eating!

I had a dog with me a few days ago for a couple of nights. A young poodle who was thought to have breathing problems but it ended up that it was her moaning from some pain somewhere. Again she was anaemic as people that do feed their dogs here will just feed them rice. I swear the dogs that live around the market eat better than most of the owned dogs round here cuz they go through bins and get all sorts of scraps! But anyway yes this dog, i called her Sheila, don't ask why! Her fur was completely matted all on her back half. We put her on a drip and fed her some meat and let her sleep for a while. She did keep making a moaning noise as if she was in pain or discomfort but nowhere was tender. After a couple of days she perked up and was wolfing down her food and seemed much better so we gave her back and the woman agreed to bring her back for the next 2 days for injections....And she did!!!

And now i have 2 cats! They are from the mon side and we've met them before actually. They get into lots of fights so we've cleaned their wounds etc before. The woman said that they weren't eating or drinking and they both had new wounds, one having a hole just below it's ear. And also there was a 3rd cat but it died and had been acting the same. So we had to take the 2 cats and they weren't going to mix well with 18 dogs so they came here. One of them has given us quite a scare. So much so that we have the drug to euthanise him in Pone Pone's fridge if it came to it. He was miowing and hissing at thin air, wasn't eating but drinking lots..wasn't urinating and was licking sand i'd put down for their litter. Which is a red flag for kidney failure. And he got to a point where he was just laying down moaning and I stayed up most of the night to watch him. And now you wouldn't think he was the same cat! He's still a little moody but no where near the state he was in a couple of days ago. It's great that he's better but we have no idea what happened. The other cat was fine as soon as he got here, I think she just wanted to make sure he was okay.
He's a lovely cat...he will run to me if i call him and sits next to me when i'm on the computer like now! But....he likes to leave me presents......little gecko's half chewed. mmm

I just nearly had a heart attack. I wanted to check the date and hovvered my mouse over the time and it said 30 October hahaha (I fly back on the 2nd Nov)

I did a mean thing too. I wanted people to see how Gemma lives here so I took a few photo's of her house when she was out. I told her and at first she was horrified because she hadn't cleaned and was embarassed....I really hope this comes across right cuz I don't think it did to Gemma and I think she was a bit miffed and thought I thought she was dirty like somebody had said to her before.
But to see her home and her bed-where she lives and has lived for a few years now. You see see just how involved she is with this whole thing. It isn't dirty and disgusting as has been said. Like anybodys home back in England needs a hoover after a couple of days, hers is just the same but instead of it being from people, it's from her family, the dogs. There is no tv, or duvet or even a pillow. She has no mattress and I'm not sure she even gets a blanket most nights! There are only veterinary things like medicines etc in her room, she has nothing there as people will come in and out of her home and take things from the school. And also nothing keeps from the humidity. It's incredibly sad to be honest. I've tried my hardest not to write much actually about Gemma cuz she sometimes reads bits of this and it's embarassing while i'm still here. But nobody has a clue what that girl has gone through. What she goes through daily. How she has been able to get up every day I do not know. The stories she has told me, things that have happened while she has been here, the pathetic amount of help she's received so she's had to do everything herself. It's just ridiculous. So anyway before I get too mad about it all that was why I took the photo's of her house, to be able to portray what this whole project is about.
And it's a lot more than just a project.
The biggest thing I want right now is for her to be happy.

(Gemma if you read this while I am still here please do not tell me, and just pretend you never read it please)

So on to today!! Again, it was completely boiling, rainy season my arse. We'd been working our bums off lately and had things back on track so decided we deserved a treat! So we went to the nature club :]
We took Stevie this time, I have got a bit of a soft spot for him! Had no idea how he was going to react to being on the bike cuz he growls when you pick him up! But he was mesmerized!!!
He had his head back and kept closing his eyes with the wind on his face I've never seen a dog look so happy in my life!!!!
Gemma said she was able to see just how disabled he was today, he likes to walk in circles and he was on one of the steps down to the water and just started going round in circles but small ones for about fifteen minutes! I know you shouldn't laugh but he looked so happy, he would pause and sort of look past our direction, wag his tail and then carry on with a big smile on his face!!! He finally did get to the water and lay down on the bamboo. I wish it was all on film!

Tomorrow we are revisiting 10 cats that have all been vomiting, not eating and also having muscle pains when they walk... really stumped on that one as there are so many with the same symptoms.

I think that was enough of an update!!! You get the gist that we are busy! I will try to write more it's just extremely tiring, and I have a terrible memory!!


Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: