Machu Pichu

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  , Cusco,
Thursday, March 20, 2014

Today was a trip to Machu Pichu. We had a choice of hiking for 4 days or getting the train. - guess which one we chose. The train was actually quite swish - glass dome roof and fancy breakfast included. About 4 years ago there was a landslide that covered the tracks, stranded people for 5 days and closed Machu Pichu for 2 months so now part of the rail trip is by bus. The whole set up was very well organized - things seem to run pretty smoothly in Peru. Apparently it is either bright sunshine or rain at Machu Pichu. We were lucky and it was perfect weather. Yesterday there had been low cloud and rain which would have been a huge drag - especially if you had just spent 4 days hiking there. Yes, it was touristy, but it was still an amazing sight. Looking down on it from the top (we had to hike that bit) is spectacular but for me the special part was being amongst the ruins. There really was something mystical about it. The setting is what really gives it the WOW factor - it's completely surrounded by huge mountains - sheer and solid rock - very seismically safe apparently. Back in the 70's you could camp on the grassy area inside Machu Pichu, have fires, play soccer but they stopped that for obvious reasons. Helicopters were landing there up until 1999. Now you can't even bring a packed lunch inside. The Spanish never found this treasure so it is 90% as it would have been when the Incas were there. I guess the other 10% would have been the roofs and wooden bits. I had better stop now as I heard so many facts today and I can't quite remember what was what.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Dad on

How do you make an amazing spectacle even better? Throw in a great train journey to get there. You have to bring me next time!

Queen of Outer Space on

Wow - that looks/sounds spectacular. I think I will come with you all next time. (But I will hike).

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: