We have Flights!
Trip Start Jan 19, 2006
332Trip End Jan 19, 2007
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
We searched around on the internet, read books, visited STA/Trailfinders and spoke to friends to find out the best flight options. Based on travelling overland for large sections of the trip and as we will be visiting 5 continents (from a travel agent perspective), we finally plumped for a oneWorld explorer ticket which covers 20 flights for about 2 grand each!
During this time, our route has changed to :
- include Tokyo (spare flights to use up in Asia, and luckily a Tokyo -> Perth direct flight)
- added in Seattle, Washington and New York (well it was free and we're currently obsessed with The West Wing!)
- added and then removed Hawaii - much to Emma's annoyance - unfortunately you can't do a return trip there from the US - only as a stop off to the South Pacific / Asia or v.v.
- covered one of our flights to Tasmania (Sydney -> Hobart)
So, the flight itinerary (v.37) is as follows :
19/01/2006 London -> St Petersburg
22/03/2006 BKK -> Hong Kong
22/03/2006 Hong Kong -> Tokyo
25/03/2006 Tokyo -> Perth
29/03/2006 Perth -> Ayres Rock
31/03/2006 Ayres Rock -> Cairns
19/04/2006 Sydney -> Hobart
04/05/2006 Melbourne -> Christchurch
07/06/2006 Auckland -> Santiago
07/06/2006 Santiago -> Easter Island
10/06/2006 Easter Island -> Santiago
11/06/2006 Santiago -> Quito
21/11/2006 Quito -> Miami
21/11/2006 Miami -> Guatemala City
10/01/2007 San Jose -> Dallas
10/01/2007 Dallas -> Seattle
13/01/2007 Seattle -> Chicago
13/01/2007 Chicago -> Washington
16/01/2007 Washington -> New York
19/01/2007 New York -> London
PHEW!!! That equates to around 80 hours of flying in total.
Check out the next entry for our detailed itinerary - the flights are only a small part of our planned route.
If anyone fancies joining us at any point on the route, let us know - the more the merrier.
More to follow. Anyone who wants to rent a lovely house in Tynemouth (no smokers, no students, no parties, no BBQs or Poker) let us know. The next few months focus on packing, getting fit, learning Spanish (for the second half of the trip) and catching up with as many people as possible before we go.
Likely dates for our leaving parties (yes we have at least two - one each!)
- Newcastle - Sat 10th December (leaving Newcastle around 22nd)
- London - Sat 11th January (leaving on 19th for even colder weather than Newcastle - see route!)
Hasta La Vista.
(Dos Cerevacas, Mi Amigo Paga)
PS - Don't ask me why Sunderland shows up on this map and not Newcastle - I've placed the Map pin over the top to obliterate most of it!