Aus 10-11/01/2013

Trip Start Dec 26, 2012
Trip End Feb 16, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

, Karas,
Friday, January 11, 2013

So after that fatal Mtb-ride I had to take a more easy day. Late breakfast, relaxing in the lounge and around 10.30 I decided to leave to Lüderitz on the coast. It's about 120 km away from Aus, but on tar road, so easy :-).
Unbelievable, the last 30 km it is so windy constantly, blowing the sand over the road from left to right. You can see at some places like 200-300 m and that's it! It seems the wind was very strong also, stronger than normal.
Arrived in Lüderitz I went for a coffee at the waterfront, just enjoying the view over the little harbour. For the rest there is not that much to see so after the coffee I just started the way back. On the way back I made a short stop at Kolmanskuppe (the ghost city). A city partly covered with sand because of the windy place it is.

20 km before the Desert Horse Inn lodge, I made a stop to watch the wild horses coming for a drink at the Garub waterhole. Such a quiet viewpoint, time for a nap with in between spotting wild horses, ostriches, oryxes, ... All coming for a drink! The horses are the first in the row, followed by the oryxes and the ostriches needs to wait until horses and oryxes are satisfied :-). Nice, I could see with my binocular the horses coming from the mountain to the waterhole. Finally I did stay 1,5 hour at this place.

When I got back at the lodge I got the good news that my wheel was repaired and on the way back, perfect!

For the sunset Piet offered me the possibility to drive to one of the chalets and watch the sunset from the terrace of a chalet which was not in use. Carlos went with me and we made some wonderful pictures and had a glass of red wine on the good life!
To finish the day I was gonna have dinner with Carlos, Piet and Christine (Piet's wife). After our nightcap Piet offered me a new helmet :-).

This morning I woke up at 5.45 to go for a hike with sunrise. First I had to drive for 5 km to the "old car" and from there I could start a hike of 12.7 km. At 6.15 I was ready to start the hiking. Part of the trail I did is also the MTB-trail so I could see what I have missed. I saw a couple of klipspringers. By 9.00 I was back at the car. On the drive back to the lodge I spotted some more oryxes, horses, ostrich, ... Ready for a breakfast and a shower! Just before I wanted to go for the shower Piet showed up with my wheel, amazing that they could fix this. The people from the shop told Piet that the bike had to be driven by a strong heavy man because of the condition the wheel was in. When he said I was a light weight, the man from the shop replied that it had to be a real heavy crash in that case...

After the shower a little nap and testing the wheel. Everything seems to be ok!

Now some more relaxing to recover!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


witte on

nice stories Frankieboy!
too bad about the bike fall - well, look at it positively, the more you fall now the less you will fall during the race, its all about experience, I can tell you haha :) Anyway, of what I read, you will be up & biking quite soon again! amuseert u man!
greetz from chilly Belgium!

Dries on

Ge zijt met tubeless onderweg veronderstel ik? ;-) Gemakkelijk plat rijden en vallen meen ik me te herinneren.

't amusement!


witte on

ja nu da ge het zegt; hij is onderweg me een machien waar em nog nie veel opgezeten heeft - troubles

stephanie on

precies azo geen last gehad van een gebrek aan internet :)

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: