Surprise Visitors

Trip Start Feb 20, 2013
Trip End May 09, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Philippines  , Eastern Visayas,
Monday, April 8, 2013

Hello Everyone,

Monday morning started off on the wrong foot, the head carpenter was not there when I arrived at 8:45 am and all the workers did not know what to start on. They finished the floor joints and the steel beams so they needed some directions for the next step. Finally, around 9:30 the carpenter showed up followed by the contractor, who had been putting together more papers for the building permit. The carpenter apologized and said he would stay late to make up for it, so construction commenced. It rained twice in the morning, hard enough that the workers had to huddle under their little tent on the scaffolding for a few minutes each time. When the weather finally decided to cooperate, the workers began building the frames for the steel beams. They were able to install a few by the end of the day.

At lunch time the usual place I go to didn't have any dishes I could eat, my diet is quite restricted due to multiple food allergies. So I took a pedicab to another place I had eaten before and they didn't have any hot food. Luckily on the pedicab ride I had seen another food stand so I walked there and they had plenty of things for me to choose from. When I finished lunch I went to the hardware store to make another large order, more supplies to create the frames for the cement floor.

When I got back to the site I gave the children their snack, which they were anxiously awaiting. And then I gave two of the girls their second round of lice treatments just to be sure it went away. Their two older sisters told me they also had lice, so I just gave them the rest of the shampoo to do their own hair too. When I was combing out the little girls hair, Cherry May one of the sponsored children ran to their house and told me Ate Crisel (the VFV Sponsorship Coordinator) was at the site. When I got back to the site, there were more surprise visitors.

Ate Wimwim and Crisel had brought the founder of VFV and, Troy Peden to visit the site along with his personal assistant and a friend from ProWorld. So I talked to them about the project and explained some of the construction to them, while the children all curiously watched. When they began snapping pictures of me with the current building, the children happily jumped in the photos.

After our visitors left I had an hour or two of first aid on my hands. One of the children had a nasty cut on his ankle and another on his elbow. Then I started cleaning the sores on one of the little girls heads, about 30 percent of her scalp is covered with green sores. Her hair was all matted down from the discharge and stuck to the sores. So after texting my friend to get a translation of what the children were telling me they were, I started slowly soaking them with water and using a Q-tip to clean them. The job became to much for a Q-tip so I went with her to her mother and explained that she needed to have her head washed with warm water to loosen the hair from the sores, so I could then put some antibiotic on them. Hopefully tomorrow I can do that. It seems that suddenly a few of the children are developing similar sores on their hands as well, the children said they are "pigsa" which means absess or boil. So I am still trying to figure out how to properly treat them, if anyone has any ideas please comment on this post or email me.

I headed home about 4 pm when the heat and the children had thoroughly worn me out. :)

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Suzy on

I'll email Tracy

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: