Patience is a Virtue, and so is Rest

Trip Start Feb 20, 2013
Trip End May 09, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Philippines  , Eastern Visayas,
Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Hello Everyone,

Things are moving along very quickly on the project site, each day the excitement is building to finally begin constructing the structural base of the center. Wednesday was by far the longest day of work I have had yet, it was one of the days I was anticipating during my days of boredom waiting for documents to be processed.

I went to the project site at 8 am, with three of the international volunteers. When we arrived some of the children and local volunteers/workers were already there digging. A few of the children told me they started working at 6:30 am. Many of them are finished with school now and I think it helps them feel fulfilled that they can help contribute to the construction.

The construction was progressing well throughout the entire day. As lunch time neared I knew that everyone deserved a filling lunch, if only because the sun was entirely unforgiving today. So I headed in to town with one of the sponsored child's mothers and Cherry May, one of the sponsored  to buy food at the market for lunch. After spending under $15 dollars on food to feed about 30 people!...I sent them off back to Cangumbang while I headed to a jeepney waiting area to meet three international volunteers who wanted to help on the project in the afternoon.

My afternoon was spent going back and forth to Palo quite a bit actually. After dropping off the volunteers I stayed for about an hour before I had to go back to town to buy gloves for the carpenters that were working on the steel rod frames. When I arrived back at the site, everyone was finishing up lunch and getting back to work. By that time I needed to head all the way back to Tacloban to pick up my letter to the Mayor so I could go to the Municipal Office to meet her.

By the time I arrived back in Bliss, where I live, I needed a shower before I could ever be presentable to the Mayor. Then I was back off to Palo. I got to the Municipal Office around 3:45 pm, but unfortunately the Mayor was out for the rest of the afternoon. They asked me to come back between 5:30 and 6:00 pm, so I headed back out to Cangumbang for the fourth time of the day.

I was surprised to see how much progress the community had made in the afternoon since I had left. All but one hole had been started, and at least 3 of them were finished. The carpenter said we are definitely ahead of schedule, which is great news to hear!

At 5:00 when I went to leave Cangumbang I had the hardest time finding a motorcycle to transport me. Three of the children walked with me for a while, and I bought them each a Sparkle, one of the local sodas while we took a rest. Finally, at about 5:30 a motorcycle finally came by and I was able to get to the Municipal Office before 6 pm.

Again when I arrived the Mayor was not there, so I chatted with some of the Municipal Officers about the project and the flooding in Cangumbang. Two of them were from the Disaster Team for the Municipality, and they were very excited about the prospect of a new evacuation center.

I met with the Mayor just before 7 pm and at first she seemed confused about why I wanted to speak with her about the project. But after I explained the scale of the project and the possible uses for the community she admitted that she recently had been thinking the area really needed another evacuation center. She said she has even considered creating a new settlement for the families residing there, but knew that would not be successful because the families would never want to move. After explaining the project to her more thoroughly she was fully on board with helping us in any way we needed her or the Municipal Office.

The day ended with great news, but after working for over 12 hours, I was too exhausted to feel much excitement. The next few days we will continue digging the holes for the columns, I will upload pictures of the progress within 24 hours.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Suzy on

Good job and rest up!


ATTAGIRL!! keep up the good work!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: