We Call Him "Austin"

Trip Start May 09, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
What I did
Austin Pets Alive!

Flag of United States  , Texas
Wednesday, November 28, 2012

When you're an animal lover (in the most wholesome sense)  it's only a matter of time until you add another mouth to the herd and today was that day for us.  Yesterday Kathy wanted to go visit one of the larger animal shelters in Austin.  Austin Pets Alive! (http://www.austinpetsalive.org/) keeps loads of dogs and cats in their facility and even more in foster homes.  Kathy was interested in seeing about volunteer opportunities and to get a look at the facility, so over we went.  I also kinda knew that this meant we'd be adding a new member to the family.

Once there, we went to the cat building and they have cages and rooms containing dozens of cats of all ages.  Kathy began looking all around and talking with the girl who was working there cleaning cages and helping people handle the cats.  One lady planted herself in a room that had at least six cats and was playing with them.  A young couple walked in and started grabbing cats to take to a play room.  A mother and daughter also entered and poked their fingers in the cages, as well as went into some of the rooms and looked at the wide variety of cooped up kitties.

And as I walked around, I heard Kathy's cat voice as she talked to one of the animals.  I looked over and saw her take an 8-week old kitten out of one of the cages and snuggle with him saying the reassuring things people say to tiny little animals.  At that point, it was all over.  Game, set, match.  Strangely enough, Kathy didn't realize it at the time.

Eventually, we left and Kathy kept talking about the cat.  I knew we'd be returning the next day to get the cat, even though Kathy said she had no such intention.  "I'll have to sleep on it," she said.

As we had this conversation sitting on the couch, I replied, "Yeah, and you had to sleep on THAT," I said motioning to Mary, "and you had to sleep on THAT," as I pointed to Karen.  "We're going back tomorrow to get the cat."

She refused to be backed into a corner by staying non-committal.  But I know my wife.

This morning, we woke and I asked, "So are we going to the shelter today?"

"I'm gonna call them first to see if they still have the cat."

"Why?  You know we'll go and you'll walk out with a cat.  There's lots of cats there."

"But this one is the one.  He walked right up to me when we were there."

I knew we'd be leaving with a cat, regardless.  So back we went and the cat Kathy had her heart set on was still there.  She cuddled with him as I did the paperwork with the counselor.  They must move a lot animals through that shelter, is all I can say.  Going through the process was pretty standard stuff.  Maybe it was because we weren't kids trying to take an animal, or maybe it was because we look so darn honest, but the counselor didn't scrutinize anything and as soon as we wrote the check, she gave Kathy the spiel and off we went.

So now begins the tenuous process of getting all the animals acquainted.  Should be interesting for the next few days here in the now slightly larger Coyle household.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: