Social Butterfly

Trip Start Dec 26, 2006
Trip End Jan 20, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Germany  ,
Friday, January 12, 2007

I think I have a better social life here in Germany than I do at home.
Every night, there's people to see and things to do... Although, half
of my evenings are technically work, I guess. Anyhow, yesterday was
great! I went on the field service call for the day. It was a herd
health check at a farm about 30 minutes from the TiHo. It was amazingly
the same as our herd checks at home. Palpation for pregnancy,
examination for endometritis, breeding planning, etc. Quite the same.
And, the farm was a small (about 100 cows), but they had a barn with a
feed alley down the middle and headlocks to lock them up in for checks.
I wish I could spend more time with the field service, but they are
limited by the number of seats in the car, so I could only fit in here
or there.

When I got back for the day, they were working on 'Rosalie,' who
happens to be my favorite patient. She is about 3 weeks old, and a
reddish color holstein, who loves to play. I try to be the one who
gives her the shot of antibiotics every time, because she is such a
sweety. She jumps around her little cage (after sitting patiently for
the shot) and tries to play with me, even with the huge cast on her
leg. Yesterday they took it off to re-radiograph it, and found that the
fracture is healing, but she has a sore that potentially goes into the
joint, and is dissolving some of the bone near her foot. So, her case
is not looking too good right now. They are trying to decide what to do
with her, potentially the might arthodese the joint (fuse it together),
if they don't think they can save it.

After night treatments, I went to this vet-school wide party thing, it
was fun, and I met alot more people. It was a blast hanging out with
everyone when we weren't working. But, that left little time for sleep
last night, so I'm a bit tired today. It was a fairly easygoing day,
just morning treatments on the schedule. We did have an impromptu DA
demo, they did it laparoscopically for us. That was pretty cool. I took
tons of pics, so you'll be seeing more of that surgery in the future.

Well, that's my life up to the minute. I wanted to write, as I may not
have much access to internet this weekend. I am taking that trip I
talked about, going to Rothenburg ob der tauber for the weekend, then
going to Ha▀furt to visit Dr. Eller and his dairy practice on Monday.
I'll be back in Hannover Monday night, though. (For my last week here)

Love to you all!

Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: