Beautiful Balmoral Castle

Trip Start Jun 26, 2012
Trip End Aug 26, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United Kingdom  , Scotland,
Monday, July 23, 2012

This morning Emma woke up just before 6.30am. I fed her and we sat in bed for a bit instead of going back to sleep as we were going to have a bit of a drive to Balmoral Castle, so we wanted to leave early.

At 7.00am we went down to the restaurant for breakfast. It was both hot and continental breakfasts for 8.50 each which wasn't too bad. Matt fed Emma while I had some cereal, yogurt and a croissant, then he had some hot food.

We got back to our room about twenty to eight and I had my shower then Matt and Emma had a shower. After that she was getting a bit tired so I put her to bed a bit after 8.00am and I got ready while she slept.

At 8.30am, Matt left to take the clothes to the cleaner but he got back half an hour later with the clothes again because they had a lot to do so weren't taking new orders. We’ll have to try and drop our clothes off at a cleaner in Inverness tomorrow. I try not to leave it too long in between washes as we end up needing to do two loads.

When Matt got back to the room, we left the hotel and walked to the car park, just a few minutes away. Matt forgot where he had parked so once he remembered, we were on our way to Balmoral. The road we were driving on wasn’t that great as there were a few tight corners now and then. Plus it was only single lane so sometimes we got slowed down when we got stuck behind a slow person. It wasn’t that far a distance, but the drive ended up taking a while because of the road we had to travel on.

We came to a village just after 10.00am which was good timing as Emma was due for her morning tea. There was a supermarket with an adjoining cafe so we went in there to feed her and use the facilities. I had a drink then we went into the supermarket as Matt wanted some chocolate milk.

We had a look at the DVDs because Matt mentioned he was sick of listening to Shrek 2 and the Barbie movie, Emma’s current movies. So we bought Tangled which Matt likes and went back to the car and put it in the player.

We continued on our way and passed a sign next to the road telling us we were in the Highlands. We arrived in the Balmoral Castle car park at 11.30am. After parking, I bought our tickets then we went through the nice gates and walked about 10 minutes along the road (or very long driveway!) to the castle area.

You can’t drive up to the castle but there was a shuttle train we could have caught. However, Emma was asleep in the stroller and we would’ve needed to take her out to go on the shuttle so we walked and let her sleep.

Since it was 12.00pm by the time we arrived at the main castle area, we firstly went to the cafe and had some lunch. After that we used the bathrooms and Matt bought an umbrella as it was raining and we only had one. Then we walked up the path to the castle and went into the hall.

In one end of the room was a TV and DVD playing which we watched a bit of. It was an old documentary showing the Queen and her young grandchildren in the gardens at Balmoral. We watched that for a few minutes then looked at the rest of the items in the room.

We saw a very fancy bottle of whisky made by John Walker to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee. The liquor was stored in a crystal bottle which had a silver neck with a diamond in it. The bottle was stored in a handmade wooden cabinet. They only made 60 and are 100,000 each.

In the hall we also saw half a dozen of the Queen’s lovely dresses that she’s worn for different occasions, such as the Opening of Parliament ceremony. They all had crystals sewn onto them and were quite amazing.

After we had finished there, we went back outside and around the side of the castle as the hall was the only room the public is given access to. The grounds were beautiful and expertly maintained, as you would expect. There were lots of trees and other plants and flowers, and lots of open grassy areas.

The outside of the castle was very nice, with some ivy growing on the walls and a huge turret with a clock on the outside and flag on the top. I took photos as best I could because I was trying to keep a hold of my umbrella so I didn’t get wet, and it was also quite windy. It was very unfortunate that the weather was so bad because on a nice day, it would have been wonderful to stroll through the grounds and take it in a bit more.

So we walked past the castle and headed to the riverside walk. It was really lovely along the river Dee and it was flowing quite fast today. Matt went down and had a look and I warned him not to get too close because if he fell in, I would have to drive Emma and I back on my own.

After that, we followed the path back to the building that was the bathrooms, cafe and shop. We had a quick look in there then decided to go as we had seen mostly everything of interest. I handed our audio guides back in which we didn’t use much but entertained Emma for a while. We waited for the next shuttle as I didn’t feel like walking back in the increasingly heavy rain. The trip back on the shuttle was fun and Emma watched with interest from my lap as we drove along.

We headed back to the car and left about 2.30pm. Emma watched her DVD before falling asleep for a bit. We stopped at the same cafe again a bit after 3.00pm and gave Emma her afternoon tea while Matt and I had a quick snack. The rest of the trip back was pretty good and we arrived back in the car park near the hotel around 4.30pm.

When we walked into the mall, on our way back to our hotel room, Matt mentioned he needed a blade to use on his Warhammer models so we found a Hobbycraft store and got one. Then we went to a Boots as Emma’s lips have been getting a bit dry and cracked. Today I noticed it was particularly bad and a bit scabby. I was a bit worried it might be sore so I talked to a pharmacist and she recommended some Vaseline. After I bought some of that, it was 5.30pm and we didn’t want to go back to our room for half an hour, only to go back out for dinner, so we decided to have an early dinner.

We went to a Franky and Benny’s restaurant because we knew they had baby food on their kids menu and we didn’t have Emma’s dinner food with us. But it turned out they were out of the 10 month old food so we ordered her some penne pasta off the older kids menu. Being normal pasta, I had to spend quite a while chopping it up so she could eat it. So our plan didn’t work out in the end. She only ate a bit, I think because it was more work to eat than her usual food, even chopped finely.

After dinner we went and got some Ben and Jerry’s ice cream again and went back to our room. Matt gave her a bit of food then she spent some time playing before I fed her and put her to bed at 8.00pm. Matt and I have been watching a bit of TV and we’ll be going to bed very soon. Tomorrow we’ve got a fairly long drive, about three hours, to Inverness but we’re looking forward to going there.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: