Things I've learned
Trip Start Dec 17, 2010
22Trip End Apr 26, 2011
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Note: Anything in bold is commentary. Anything that's not in bold is straight from my notebook. I also write dates á la European. It's smarter and I will never go back.
The best way to learn a language is through passion (first homework assignment=find a Spanish boyfriend)
una canguro - babysitter (like a kangaroo)
Rafael Nadal estaba en pelotas en la playa. Que increíble! Voy a decirlo a mi profesora porque ella está enamorada de él. (Rafael Nadal was buck naked on the beach. How incredible! I'm going to tell my professor, because she's in love with him.)
los apellidos que terminan en "z" significan "hijo de." Spanish last names that end in "z" mean "son of..."
ser una pelota = to be a brown noser
estar de pelotas = to be naked
manazas = butterfingers
repipi - ditzy
pardillo - gullible
tiquismiquis - perfectionist Also my favorite Spanish word
mucha mierda = good luck (to actor/actress etc./horse drawn carriages/más mierda=más gente) Mierda is actually the Spanish equivalent of s***. This comes from the days when people would go to the theater in horse drawn carriages. If there's a lot of mierda in the street the next day, there were a lot of people at the show.
Quien se fue a Sevilla, perdió su silla = you snooze, you lose Literally: he who went to Seville lost his seat
Sobrasada = that orange meat I like
¿Le gustaría más limpiar el culo de jugador de sumo o encontrar el sexo de pollos?
Would you rather wipe a sumo wrestlers butt, or determine the sex of baby chicks? We were discussing very specialized jobs.
Hormiguear - to have pins and needles/body part "fell asleep" (like hormigas) Hormigas are ants
Most likely, none of that information will help me on the tests, but it made studying a little more fun.
I wish I had more exciting stories to tell about my daily life. Then I would blog more. Here are the bullet points:
- The weather is getting better so I've started running on the beach and climbing up to the castle.
- The other day on the bus, a baby stroller was trapped in the door and the driver didn't notice so he started driving away. It turns out that it doesn't matter what language you scream in if everybody else is screaming too. Everything turned out fine.
- Last Friday I went on a pub crawl with 6 other people. The 7 of us were from 6 different countries, and spoke 7 different languages. I'm definitely getting a million times the cultural experience that I would be having in Tulsa.
- I went on a date tonight. I spoke Spanish the whole time.
- I guess I'll be cheering for the Packers on Sunday because most of the friends I'm watching the game with are from Wisconsin. I'll have to wait for youtube to get the commercials, but I will probably be able to watch the game with English commentary
- Breakfast lately has been corn flakes in hot chocolate. Why haven't I been doing that forever?
- My blog has had over 300 hits. That's nice