Work it Girl

Trip Start Jun 03, 2008
Trip End Aug 12, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Wannamaker Driveway

Flag of United States  , New York
Thursday, July 24, 2008

We took the train into the City again today with plans on going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Rusty was very excited since he had missed the other art museum.  We walked down 5th Avenue marveling at all the fall fashion and the window dressings of the designer stores.  "Sachet it girl."  Audrey was intrigued and wanted to shop, but we kept her out of the stores as best we could.  We got to the Trump Tower where the kids wanted their picture taken where all the Apprentices had left the show.  We wondered in the front lobby for a moment and the kids had hopes of catching a glimpse of the Donald.  No such luck.  We made it to the Plaza Hotel where across the street a line had formed down and around FAO Schwartz.  We thought it was for the famed toy store, but it was for the Apple store.  I guess the new I-phone was just released and hundreds of people had nothing better to do with their time or their money than stand in line for a new phone.  We on the other hand had to show the kids the biggest toy store.  They seemed unimpressed, so we moved onto the destination of the art museum.

The kids wanted to take a cab and not walk the 23 blocks, they had just finished walking 18, but I think it wasn't really the walking as much as it was the fact they thought they would be on Cash Cab.  I have to admit it would be fun to be on Cash Cab and Clark is the perfect contestant, but we needed the exercise.  Clarkism, "kids did you know that 20 NYC blocks equals a mile?" 

As we approached the museum they had several artists outside selling their creative works of art.  There was an artist who was sketching people's portraits in 15 minutes and she was good!  Audrey has wanted her portrait done ever since we were in Sea World.  We were unwilling to do it in the theme parks because they never look like the subject, but this we were willing to try.  And it was pretty good. 

Ellen brought the troops into a side entrance that was for groups as well as a public entrance.  Somehow after going through security we waltzed by everyone and went straight into the museum.  Not a word from anyone.  We started in Africa which the boy loved.  We made our why through Greek and over to the Egyptian and realized we had about an half hour before we needed to leave.  The girl wanted to see Modern art so we whizzed over to that section where a large section was closed off, but they had a special exhibit from Jeff Koon on the garden roof top, so up we went.  Boy we were glad we made the trip up there.  Unbelievable views of NYC and some great sculpture we liked and enjoyed. 

It was about 4pm and we knew it was rush hour, so a cab might be slow going and we had to walk further up to get on the subway, so we decided to walk back to Grand Central Station.  Walking down the other side of Fifth Avenue we ran into another line that looped around the building.  People were standing in line to enter Abercrombie and Fitch.  Once again, we weren't sure how so many people had so much time and money to stand in line for something in a retail store.

We made it Grand Central with enough time to catch the 5:19 express train.  Somehow at that point we knew we wouldn't make it back in time.  We were supposed to be home by 6pm to go to dinner with the Smithersteins.  They had hired a babysitter to watch the kids while we went to dinner.  We were back by 6:30 which left us a little time to get ready.  We were brought to a quaint little restaurant in a small nearby town named Piedmont.  We enjoyed a nice bottle of wine, a very lovely meal and laughter with great friends.  Meanwhile, the kids had taken the babysitter for quiet the ride.  I hope she wasn't very tired, because my kids weren't about to slow down now.  New blood!  After jumping on the trampoline they had her play every board game in the house and were on Monopoly when we got back.  They insisted upon bringing her over to show her Monica before she left.

It was late and we were all tired and we had an early day the next day.......we were going to drive in Manhattan.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: