Crazy Queues and a Wooden Horse

Trip Start Oct 22, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Mexico  ,
Monday, March 5, 2007

After a restless night we returned the car to the airport and headed over to the Spirit Air desk.  The best way to describe Spirit Air and their queuing system was crazy.  Basically anything goes.  The obvious problem with their system was the location of their self check in computers.  They were inconveniently located at the front of the counter directly where the ticket agent was standing to check-in people that had been doing the right thing and were standing in the marked queue.  People would bypass the queue and head to the computers only to realise that international passengers had to be manually checked in.  Once they realised, they didn't join the end line but would stand in position and surge for the next ticket agent that became available.  Those people that had read the signs saying domestic passengers only to self check in, and stood in line for the manual check, obviously kept being overlooked and after standing in line for two hours everyone was beginning to get frustrated.  Also if you had a Spirit Air guy pick your bags up from your taxi and bring them in for you, he would always place them right at the front of the queue.  You were then supposed to join the end of the queue and grab your bags when you'd reached the front.  Obviously no one understood this so they just pushed in to the front thinking their extra curbside service allowed them to bypass everyone.  Geesh!  Eventually people began to miss flights and the tension in the room was palpable.  Finally becoming frustrated people in the queue started rebelling against those pushing in and they were forced to the back of the line.  We finally made it into the departure lounge only to discover our flight had been delayed anyway!  Never mind, we were heading for the fun and sun of Cancun so we settled in for the wait and eventually we made it onto the plane and into our seats in three separate rows.  Strangely enough although we had checked in together they decided to place us in random seats.
When we arrived in Mexico we caught a bus downtown and found a hostel then had our first Mexican meal.  Yum!
The second day we decided to head to the beach, but to be honest we were disappointed.  The beaches of Cancun whilst picturesque in colour were in reality not the best.  The water was freezing for one thing, it was blowing a gale and not sunny at all.  Walking along the beach we were surprised at the amount of construction going on and seemingly nice resorts being leveled and re built.  Apparently two years ago a hurricane decimated the resorts and they are now still trying to rebuild.  We didn't find the place interesting in the slightest and could have been in Surfers Paradise for all we knew.  Apart from a few shops and lots of restaurants and bars there is little to do in Cancun but get drunk and get a tan.  Not exactly our idea of fun so we headed back to the downtown and booked a bus onwards.
We did have an enjoyable night at a local restaurant where we tried a few cocktails and roped the waiter into taking photos of us wearing the sombreros which decorated the walls.  He even managed to rustle up an old wooden carousel horse for the photos, god knows where it came from but it was hilarious.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: