Awesome Time in Flint

Trip Start Oct 22, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Michigan
Monday, February 12, 2007

We got up for an early flight from Las Vegas to Detroit.  The flight went over the Grand Canyon so we got to see some great views from the air.  As the airline was based in Colorado we had to change planes in Denver.  When we eventually landed at Detroit airport we were met by Rick's friend, Terry, and he drove us an hour up the road to Flint.  Now we didn't know much about Flint, just that it was the world headquarters of General Motors and featured in a couple of Mike Moore movies.  Terry drove us through the town ending at his and Dana's place.  We were greeted at the door by their two dogs, Twinky and Berry (of course they were wagging their tails and barking they way dogs do).  Since we were so tired we sat around and talked about home and the different things between Australia and the US.
Since we were now in a pretty cold part of North America we all had to get warm jackets.  The girls wanted to check out Wal-Mart so off they headed with Dana to do some shopping.  Rick and Terry caught up with them later on and after a lot of walking around we all finally managed to find a suitable jacket to wear.  That night Dana cooked a lovely chicken dinner.  It was great to have some home cooked meals as on the road you tend to get sick and tired of the same old fast food (thanks Dana it was yummy!).
After sleeping in again Rick headed out with Terry to see if Terry's snow mobiles would work.  Arriving at a mate's place we found the trailer stuck frozen in the ground.  After digging and digging we tried to pull the trailer out but the flat rubber tires were stuck in the frozen ground.  With a few unsuccessful attempts Terry's mate warmed up his V8 truck and it pulled the trailer out easily.  After pumping up the tyres we were amazed that they stayed up.  Driving to Terry's work shed we had our finger's crossed the snow mobile would start as it hadn't been used in six years.  Opening the trailer everything seemed in order.  We decided to put new spark plugs in and after a heap of pulling on the starter cord finally the motor kicked into life.  Terry jumped on and gave it a good run before leaving Rick to play for about forty minutes while he went back and picked up Megan and Carlie.  Rick had a great time riding around and when Terry returned with the girls, Megan jumped on for a twin ride.  The only problem was that when Rick went fast around a corner Megan almost flew off the back without him realizing it.  He continued riding for a while without realising Megan was flying off the side.   We eventually figured out it was easier for the person behind to drive and the smaller of the two to sit in front.
After some quick instructions and a short run around the car park Megan was ready to head out by herself so Rick retired to the work shed and she headed out.  She was gone for ages and when she came back had a huge grin on her face.  We also found out she'd somehow made a wrong turn and ended up in the middle of a frozen pond!  Thankfully she managed to get out and the ice didn't crack.  Carlie had a spin by herself then it was time to ride for real when Terry then took Carlie for a ride and what a ride it was.  Since Terry knew what he was doing he cranked up the speed and took off.  When the came back we found out that he got it up to about 100mph!  That is seriously fast on ice and snow.  While we were out Terry had setup some pinball tables to keep us entertained back at his work shed so while one of us was on the snow mobile the other two were playing pinball!  How cool is that?
To top off the day Rick went out for a bit of night snow mobiling and tried a few jumps, until he took one at a strange angle and almost came off.  Time to call it a day; a fantastic day!  We were all exhausted and our muscles were starting to ache.  Terry we hope you've taken out the snow mobile again since we used it!
The next day we all rolled out of bed stiff and sore in places you wouldn't believe, our muscles screaming every time we tried to move.  Terry took us out to a shop called Sam's Club.  It's a bulk buy shop that is part of the Wal-mart chain and they had all kinds of food, all in bulk.  Unfortunately as were still on the road a tub or 100 Tootsie rolls just doesn't fit into the backpack.  Terry also showed us around town and when we got back home Rick spent some time shoveling snow.  We know it sounds strange to enjoy shoveling snow, but we never get to do it back home in warm Australia!  Later on that day Carlie went out for a drive with Terry in his black Corvette.  Carlie came back with a grin on her face - they'd cranked it up to around 215kph!
That night they took us out to a steakhouse for a goodbye dinner.  It was great to have a night out with the guys just chatting about life.  They played a great joke on Carlie by telling the waitress that it was her birthday, who then hauled her up in front of the entire restaurant to wish her a happy birthday. The guy got everyone to give her a huge birthday "Yeeeeehaaaa!"
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Joe Sharkey on

I hate this story soooooooooooooooooooo much because it was boring

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: