Delhi belly in Jaipur

Trip Start Oct 22, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of India  ,
Wednesday, November 9, 2005

After a few hours on the train we arrived in Jaipur. We had read the trusty LP guide on the train and they recommended getting a prepaid Rickshaw to your hotel as normal rickshaw drivers are particularly dodgy in Jaipur. They try to take you to the hotel that they get the most commission from (which is then added to your bill). We took this advice and paid up a little bit extra. As we took off another guy jumped in and said I'll give him directions as he is only new at driving the rickshaw. We didn't think much of that until later........

Arriving at our hotel of choice (we thought) Megan headed up to see a room while Rick was quizzed on how we had got there, who bought you, did you come by yourself or by rickshaw? etc. Warning bells began to ring. When we were told the price of the room we almost fell over as it was way over our budget. It was about now we realised we were being duped. We walked out with the hotel manager, his wife and the two rickshaw drivers following us, all talking at once trying to get us to stay so they could all split the commission money.

We wandered down the road for a while realising the taxi had taken us to a totally different hotel in an another part of town. We eventually got into another rickshaw to a restaurant near the hotel we wanted but headed off in the wrong direction on foot accidently (the map was not very good). After a third rickshaw ride, another hotel which was also too expensive, we came across some Israli girls walking home from dinner and practically begged them take us to their hotel. They showed us to the Evergreen Guest House and luckily it was within our budget. We quickly got a room and fell into bed for some much needed rest.

Shortly after falling asleep Megan was up to the bathroom, and again an hour later and then every hour after that for the next 12 hours. The next day Megan spent in bed while Rick watched old movies on TV.

After a miraculous recovery Megan was able to venture out in the afternoon of the second day in Jaipur and we managed to do some shopping. We also went to the Palace of the Winds for 5 rupees (the cheapest entrance charge so far). They wanted to charge us 30 rupees for our camera but we told them we didn't have one. The photos of the Palace are great.

All in all we weren't impressed by Jaipur with the highlight for Rick, his purchase of raspberry cough mixture. With our sleeper bus to Udaipur leaving at 9pm we headed to the station to wait.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: