Yes, we are FINALLY “There”!!

Trip Start Jul 13, 2013
Trip End Aug 12, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , Tennessee
Monday, August 12, 2013

Well, at some point we knew it had to happen. Wherever "there" was had to be defined and acted upon. Evidently today was that day. As it turned out, we discovered that “there” is wherever we happen to be, as long as we are with each other, so we were “there” all along! Life we have found is a journey of discovery, and traveling together has been our way through the years of learning about people and places everywhere we go. We think it has broadened our knowledge of the world and of each other. We highly recommend it!

When this journey began, we weren't sure exactly WHERE we were going—an unstructured meander in western New York State was the original idea. We did that and so much more…one major “bucket list” item checked off and several “unexpected moments” that were jewels in our trip. This expedition turned out to be a story of lakes, canals, the changes in landscapes caused by glaciations and friendships. However, we were surprised that it also had a major theme of stories of memories. I think we were able to give several of you a trip down memory lane. Doing so caused the two of us to think about events and people in our lives as well as enjoying vicariously the life shaping events in some of yours. Thank you for sharing—we enjoyed our trek through time enormously.

Now each journey must come to an end as does each blog. I still have to finish up with our travel today:

Pulling out of our campground above Louisville, KY this morning at 9:40 the temperature was already up to 78 degrees and the humidity was HIGH! This is definitely NOT a good thing as one of the things I dislike most in all the world is getting sweaty…and today ended up being an 8 on the scale of 10 as far as the sweat factor was concerned. We had considered staying there one more night and using today to clean Mufasa inside and out, but after looking at the weather we realized that there was a good chance that we would be running in the rain again tomorrow and all of our hard work would be wasted. We are very glad that we made that choice as we ended up having quite a bit of rain as we drove south today.

Shortly after leaving camp we stopped for the last time for gasoline and paid $3.56/gallon. Just below Elizabethtown we ran into several fairly hard rain showers. The benefit of that was at least the temperature dropped to 75—however the humidity must have upped itself to 100%. Did I mention that I heartily dislike getting sweaty?

Of course we couldn’t let the last day of our trip go by without having a three ring circus crop up unexpectedly…we had been driving over VERY rough interstate roads. To those of you who are uninitiated in the fine art of riding down the road with your house attached to your engine, let me explain. You can drive over a rough road in a car and it may be bumpy, but usually you don’t pay any attention to it after a few minutes—it just is what it is. However, in a motor home, you not only FEEL each lump and bump in the pavement you HEAR each lump and bump because (remember you are driving your house down the road) EVERYTHING bounces and jumps and thumps and rattles as you hit the dips in the road. Your dishes rattle, you silverware jumps and clinks, and heaven forbid two glasses jounce together because THEN you get annoying tinkling sounds. Smooth roads are wonderful—they are what make tooling down the highway in your house so much fun. Now hold those thoughts.

The road had finally smoothed out somewhat and we decided we wanted a few munchies and a Dr. Pepper. Now being able to get these items on the fly as it were is another of the fun parts of riding in a motor home. I eased to the back of Mufasa and got a box of Cheezits for John. (He is addicted to them; I am the one with a substance abuse problem with Chocolate Chip Frappes.) After giving that to him, I went back to the refrigerator to get out a nice cold Dr. Pepper. Wow! This is almost as good as the spilled coffee story. When I opened the door, one of the door shelves fell into the floor—carrying with it milk, cold coffee in a container (thank goodness) and a jar of mayonnaise! Yikes. Thankfully there was no major mess made and I was able to put the shelf back in, stow the items, and get the Dr. Pepper and take it up front. Sigh of relief…now all is well. Well, not exactly. I opened the top on the Dr. Pepper bottle, and I am sure you can guess what happened next. Not only had the motor home been bounced around, the items in the refrigerator had been also. Remember when you were a kid and shook a bottle of soda and then opened it? Exactly. Not a pretty sight. Luckily I had a hand towel next to my seat and I had enough presence of mind to wrap it around the bottle, hold it over the rubber mat under my feet, and screw the lid back on. I then did a quick wipe job of all that had been hosed in the excitement…all of this was happening while going 65 miles an hour down I-65 S! Since I was in my last clean pair of shorts which were also liberally splattered with cold Dr. Pepper, now we HAD to go home to do laundry!

We crossed the border into Tennessee at 12:05. Stopping at the Tennessee Welcome Center we took a few minutes to do a better clean up of the mess. Oh well, things do happen occasionally. We crossed the border into Wilson County at 1:30. It was good to feel ourselves getting closer to home. We did make just one more little stop—to get one more Chocolate Chip Frappe to share! Tomorrow repentance begins.

Arriving at home around 2:30 we got busy unloading Mufasa. We also were greeted by several friends and neighbors who seemed to be glad that we were home. One friend said that he would ask how our trip went but since he and his wife had been on the blog, he already knew! It was also suggested that we rest a few days and then hit the road again so they would have something new to read every day. Hold that thought Steve!

Mufasa is now safely up at the club parking lot. Depending on the weather tomorrow we will either bring him back over here to clean him up before taking him back to his man cave, or take him back there and then bring him back here to give him a bath at a later date.

John is at the Resident’s meeting so I don’t have the total mileage for today or the total trip mileage as of yet. If I can get this out (our internet is down here at the house) after while, I will go back in later to edit those details after I get the information. I suspect I am going to have to get this out via my cell phone hot spot and the laptop. I see a call to TDS in my future!

We had a fantastic trip but are also very glad to be home. I am sure we will see most of you out and about in the next few days. Thanks for going along with us on our journey. Also as a side note that means very little I know: we didn’t have the television on even one time this whole month we have been on the road. This is the longest we have gone since either of us got television when we were children that we didn’t have one turned on at least for a few minutes to watch the news! We didn’t miss it at all which is some kind of commentary on our lives that we likely need to think about!

Posted Later: We drove 193 miles today. The total milage of the trip was 3,265 miles.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


oldcat on

welcome home

Gayle Moody on

Welcome home! I have greatly enjoyed your travelogue and encourage you to join the Twaddlers and/or help out with one of the many publications in the community. I have learned so much about you and John and loved every minute. Biggest surprise--McDonalds. Really? LOL!

Nancy Norris on

So glad you arrived home safely. However, I must admit I will miss the joy of reading your blog every evening! It was like reading a chapter a night in an adventure book!

sharpe2mob on

Every night on your email page it said "Wish your were here", now we are... Welcome home but we will definitely miss the blog. We enjoy your vacations more than our own. See you soon.

berry boop on

Enjoyed y our trip. Welcome home

Missy on

Your'e home!!!!!!! Glad you had a safe and fabulous trip. I enjoyed it with you.

Bob & Ruth on

Happy to have you back home! Look forward to seeing both of you - thanks for sharing your travel adventure with all of us reading daily.

D Crip on

We also returned home today from 4 days in Atlanta at a conference. I was thinking of you and realized you would probably make it home. Hope to see you soon.

Mavis Marx on

Welcome home, I enjoyed all the place you went to. Can't wait for the next trip.

Camille on

Welcome welcome. Looking forwrd to seeing you walking around a

Linda & Tom on

Ok, it is now time to return to reality. No more Chocolate Chip Frappes! We missed you both...

tricruiser on

You just went in today so you could beat us there! I join the others in saying, what will I do for entertainment now that you are home. Maybe you could do a daily commentary about DWLP. Glad you are safe at home!

Linda & Rick on

Welcome home! We enjoyed your trip, thanks for sharing with us!

Ruthie and Jim on

Welcome back!! Enjoyed traveling along with you and makes us want to see some of the places you visited.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: