The agony of setting off with a wee hangover

Trip Start Jun 22, 2006
Trip End Jul 12, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Riverside Inn

Flag of Ireland  ,
Saturday, June 24, 2006

Woke up before seven feeling mediocre due to the alcohol consumption of the night before and after a hearty breakfast served by our hostess, Mary, we started our hike. The weather was decent, albeit quite cloudy, but it improved throughout the day. We hiked up in the hills which was a bit tricky (think...mudddy...slippery!) We encountered no one on our hike except for fornicating cows (I kid you not!) and a very stressed out horse who had escaped and was racing down the road. Having not seen hide nor hair of any sheep this first day, I joked that the cows were actually sheep dressed up as cows so as to avoid being recognized by tourists laden with cameras.

The hike, by the end, was quite taxing on my knee and I was literally grimacing and grinding my teeth due to the pain. We arrived at Camp at about 3:30-4:00 and cleaned ourselves up. The blokes were supposed to meet us at 7 PM at Ashe's Pub. Pauline, our extremely kind and gracious hostess at the B&B, brought me ice for my swollen knee as well as a pot of tea with cheese scones. Bless her! She then went on being wonderful by offering to take us down to the village church/graveyard to have a look around and take some photographs. Rebecca opted to stay behind and relax but I jumped at the chance to do a bit of shooting. So Pauline and I walked around the churchyard together and then headed for the nearby beach. Afterwards, she dropped me off at Ashe's where Rebecca joined me momentarily. We filled our bellies with tasty bar food and then waited for the lads to show up, which they did shortly after 7. It felt a little awkward at first, what being sober after all, but things got rolling and a bit more chummy after a round of beers and shots of some revolting licorice flavoured liqueur. YUCK!!

A second round of shots was ordered, much to my disgust, and then Rebecca accidentally broke her shot glass, spilling its contents over the table. It was purely an accident and not due to her general state of sobriety for there was little room to manoever in the wee pub and the table was a little lop-sided. I generously gave my shot of licorice-laced poison (tee hee) to Rebecca and requested a shot of whiskey to replace it. However, the publican point blank refused to serve our table any more shots saying we'd had enough. Humpf. This served to royally tick us off and we took our patronage elsewhere to another pub in the village run by an interesting fella name Mike. Apparently, this pub was somewhat well-reknowned due to its having a singing dog on the premises. Alas, the dog had departed to greener pastures so we were only able to imagine the lovely howling he would have made and we paid our respects at its graveside.

After our pleasant sojourn to the Riverside Inn, we ventured back to upper Camp to continue our revilry at Ashe's Bar. It's kind of a blur to me now - there came a point when I decided I had had enough and planned to turn in. Shane, being the consummate gentleman that he was, walked me back to my B&B, and I had resolved that the night would end there & then but his eager sweet kisses made me weak in the knees and...errr...other all of my resolve flew over the hedge and down the country lane and I invited him into my room for further "chatting". Things were swimming along pleasantly for a while when all of a sudden, the doorbell rang to the B&B and I realized that Rebecca was locked out. I quickly rearranged my blouse, cough cough, and hurried to let her in. Too late!! Pauline and her paternalistic bully of a husband were up as well and lickedy split realized that if Rebecca was the one being let in, that the voices coming from our room belonged to at least one stranger. Pauline's husband bellowed, "Have you got a man in yer room??!!!" and I, being a poor liar, sheepishly started apologizing and with my tail between my legs, led Shane out of the B&B. I was treated in the manner of an errant teenager being busted by an overly-protective dad and the funny things I am, 39 years old, and this was the first time in my life I'd been busted for hanky panky!!!

I was offended by the treatment I'd received so I decided not to spend the night there. Rebecca slept in the place for which we'd paid and I ended up crashing in Dave's car, alongside Dave & Shane. That's right - it was me and two guys sleeping in a car as if I was a 16-year-old teenager who'd stayed out after curfew and was forced to sleep elsewhere in order to avoid the fury of a conservative wrathful father. Too rich and oh-so-ironic!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: