Tale of a monkey-bitten trekker and MP3 porter

Trip Start Jan 05, 2006
Trip End Jan 25, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Nepal  ,
Monday, January 16, 2006

It was cloudy this morning which made me quite grateful that I'd climbed Poon Hill the morning before. We left at just after , headed for Tadopani. The first part of the trek was uphill about 500 meters. It was grueling but I did it in about an hour. There was a nice resting spot near the top where I purchased a snickers bar (to be eaten at a later time). Upon ascending the hill, we then had a long way downhill to go. Typically in January this part of the trek there can be some snow and ice making it particularly difficult going, but as there's been next to no snowfall this winter so far, it wasn't so bad. There were only a couple of spots where I used both of my poles or stuck a hand down to increase my balance and prevent slipping.

Dipak and I followed a stream which led us to our lunchspot.The name of the restaurant was...you guessed it...The Hungry Eye!!! This being my third restaurant of that very name means I now have THREE HUNGRY EYES. Thus I'm a triclops. I spoke to a couple of trekkers there from Santiago, Chile and I told them how much I had loved visiting their country back in 2003.

After lunch, we carried on flat for a while and then one more gradual ascent to Tadopani, arriving at 1:50. This day's hike was probably the 2nd most difficult one after the initial hike to Ullieri, but I think I did it fairly well, all things (swollen knee) considering.

Our lodging in Tadopani was quite nice although there wasn't any electricity. Staying at the same place was a German man from near Koln and a woman, Jay, from the Midlands in England. It was pleasant chatting with the two of them in the afternoon and over dinner. All three of us were traveling solo, not withstanding our guides (plus the German had a porter). Unfortunately we were all headed in different directions the following day.

Jay had been bitten by a monkey while at the Monkey Temple and told us a harrowing tale of trying to find someone with sufficient medical training to give her the second anti-rabies injection she required. Luckily, she and her guide met a Korean trekker who happened to be a nurse. Whew, because they had been thisclose to having the guide give her the shot.

The food in Tadopani was quite tasty - I had something called a Swiss toasty and some chips for dinner and it was scrumptious, particularly after the subpar food I'd had in Ghorepani, the past two days.

One more amusing thing to note - the German fellow had brought along his MP3 player and his guide and porter kept taking turns listening to it. So much so were they enamoured of it that I teased the German that he'd be lucky to ever get it back.

I retired at 8:30. A great day and I slept like a rock.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: