Life in the Underground

Trip Start Sep 01, 2004
Trip End Apr 25, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United Kingdom  ,
Thursday, October 7, 2004

Hey Guys,

I'm just trying to get caught up with our travels as things were pretty hectic. Flying into London from Spain was quick except the circling until there was a slot for our plane to land. That wasn't a bad thing because we got great views of London and how downtown was situated, near the river. Heathrow Airport seems to be about three times the size as Los Angels International and twice as busy. This was the first customs stop that we had, where they asked us fifty two questions before they let us enter the country. I was a little surprised. I really thought that it would be easy to deal with the travel stuff in the U.K. They do speak English, don't they? Well they almost speak English. Everything seems to be called something different than what we call it. You can't use a pay phone without a card. Very European! There are four different three digit telephone numbers just for information, and their information is almost as accurate as it is in the U.S. We were able to find a hotel, find the bus stop for the bus we needed and then almost froze to death waiting for the bus. The weather was very different than it was in Spain. We ate at the restaurant in the Hotel and actually watched some news in English, on the television, before falling fast asleep. A long travel day.

The next day, our only day in London, was a busy one. First we had to find the Fedex distribution center to pick up the box of stuff John sent us. It was only about twenty minutes from Heathrow, but no one seemed to know the city, street, or address that we had to locate. Finally we found a Pakistani guy, that was like a Taxi driver, that got us there and back. We checked out the box at the hotel(it was like Christmas) and caught a bus to the nearest Undergound Station. After a couple of false starts we figured out their system and headed for the far north of London to pickup our "Around the World" tickets. Three train transfers got us to the travel guys and we got our tickets. We ate lunch then went back to the Underground and made our way downtown to the river where all of the "must see" attractions are. We wandered around downtown all afternoon, and saw all of the sights. We didn't have time to do any museums, which was too bad, but we were impressed with how well they take care of everything. We are anxious to return when we have a proper amount of time and the American dollar is not so weak. It's more expensive than going to New York, first class. We got back on the underground and made our way back to our Hotel for dinner again. By this time we felt like pro's when we got on the subway.

We went to bed early and had a wake up call for five am for the flight to Kenya. Getting through customs was easy and the flight was on time. Watch out Kenya, we are on our way!

Don and JoAnn
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: