Whitehaven beach

Trip Start Sep 11, 2012
Trip End Sep 09, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , Queensland,
Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Wakey, wakey.... It is morning on the boat and after a great night sleep in the bunkbed of the yacht it was time to get ready for another day with a light breakfast. I enjoyed it on deck and let the fresh seabreeze wake me up totally. Shortly after the crew got the boat ready and we made our way to Whitehaven Beach. This beach is 98% pure Silica and is one of the whites and fines sand beaches on earth. The reason for it is that there are 2 continental plates close by rubbing on each other and grinding the rock to such a fine sand. Our crew told us before we left that we were not allowed to bring any sand on board. We had to wash our self of in the water before we were allowed back on board. Due the mechanics of the sail boat they whish not to get such a fine sand in it as it would destroy the equipment. I guess it was fair enough thou. 
On the island we walked up to a look out first from where we had an amazing view over the beach itself and it was stunning and just in another world. Shortly after we actually went down to the beach itself where we had some time to chill out. We started of with a nice swim in the water and played around with the camera for silly pictures. Diana and I as well went for a walk along the beach and found a few stingrays in the shallow water as well millions of soldier crabs where crawling along the beach. It was so funny to watch and rather facinating. After a bit of great fun on the beach I just chilled out and enjoyed the sun.
However the fun had to finish and we walked back to the beach where we were dropped of to get our pick up back to the yacht. On the yacht we had lunch ready waiting for us and we slowly moved to another little bay along the whitsundays. There we went for a snorkle and I was so happy I had my gear with me. Once in the water everyone was swimming and worked rather hard to snorkle around. I just relaxed and floated along with once in a while flicking my ankle. Everyoneelse had to actual swim as they didn't had fins. The fringing reef we snorkled was so different from anything else I have seen. Unfortunatelly the reef was very damaged which was a shame to see. However you have seen some beginning stages of recovery in the reef. I just cruised along and after a while I actually got cold as I didn't move as much as the others. After swimming along the reef the boats dinghy picked us up and instead of jumping on board he draged us along the back of the boat on the rope which was fun and a whole new expereince of snorkling. Could get used to that thou. Eventually we had to get in the dinghy as we got closer to the yacht. As one of the crew memebers help me in the boat he almost fell over backwards as he didn't expected it to be that easy. Well no one else had fins and it was harder to get in the boat while I had fins and kicking with them helps a lot to get up. It was very funny as I kind of jumped in the boat.
Once back on the yacht we had to get all our stuff together and set sail for the last bit of our cruise. Oyr next stop will be Long Island in the Whitsundays and the cruising was just so beautiful. We even saw whales in the distance which made it special. Mid afternoon we arrived at long Island and Leigh was waiting on the Island for us and greeted us with a warm welcome to the Island. There we checked into our rooms and made ourself ready for the evening. This evening is Mexican night on the Island with Karaoke. We all met along the beach front for a few drinks and we decided to get in style for our Mexican night. We decided to paint ourself some mustaches on each others faces. It was so funny and we all had a hugh laugh while doing so. Once we were done we went like that for dinner. All other guest where looking at us like we are loonatics but well we had fun. Dinner was pretty good and I enjoyed it so much. Sadly we got the news there that we had to ove our rooms due plumbing problems. Well it happeneds and after dinner I went back to our room to pack up my stuff and move to our new room. The new rooms were an upgrade which was amazing. I actually had a double bed and I loved it. 
After moving I went back to join in the party and we had a few drinks and started singing Karaoke. There we created a group and called ourselfs the Mutaches which was rather creative... We had great fun singing and dancing and Leigh and Sarah danced a few Australien songs with us such as the song "Home among the Gumtree's". Very funny indeed. Slowly but steady the evening went to an end and some of us went to there small inhouse disco but I decided to chill and make myself ready for bed.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: