Exploring the Hudson River around Stockport Creek

Trip Start Unknown
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of International  ,
Thursday, August 5, 2010

Here it is August already and this was my first time out in the kayak with Otto in his canoe.  We met at 8:30 AM at the end of Station Rd in Stockport area where there is a boat launch next to the Amtrak tracks.  A train went by while I was reading and waiting for Otto.

We paddled along Stockport Creek at first to the bridge when it got very shallow.  Otto checked to see if we could portage past the shallow, rocky section but he decided it wouldn't work so well.  Otto spotted quite a few birds.  I even saw a blue heron or two.  There was something that Otto thought was an immature eagle at one point.  This is not counting all the doves cooing on the railroad bridge.

Since this was a short trip, we went out into the Hudson toward the Middle Ground island.  It was tough going north against the current.  Where it was shallow near the shore, I got out and waded pulling the kayak after me for a while to rest my arms, then my legs got tired.  We searched for the picnic area and finally found it almost all the way to the end of the island.  People had made themselves quite comfortable here...they left a fish cleaning counter, sand toys, a pile of rubbish around the site and several greasy ribs on the picnic table.  I followed a path from the site and found a whole other lot of more stuff - maybe a second family's camp.  Otto and I had a snack at the picnic table before continuing on.  Since storm clouds appeared to be gathering, we headed back toward the launch area.

When we got near the launch area, the storm seemed to have slowed in its arrival so we paddled a bit more in a southerly direction.  I played - taking photos of the water plants and waves from the boats.  There seemed to be quite a bit of river traffic for a week day.  Lots of speed boats barreling along.  For some reason, we decided it was probably time to head in.  It was a good decision, because it started to rain as we reached the launch area.  A young woman in a bikini was bringing out a young boy and giving him kayaking instructions.  They were headed out as it started to rain harder.

After getting the boats back on our vehicles, I managed to change into dry clothes in the front seat of my car.  We headed off to Hudson for a lunch....deciding on Mexican Radio.  Otto said his chimichanga was great.  My triple enchiladas mole - with three different mole sauces - was fantastic.  No margaritas - they were too expensive.  Probably a good thing.  It had stopped raining by the time we were finished with lunch.

Another lovely outing - glad to get in the kayak again before the snow comes..
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: