Shopping Is Very Hard Work

Trip Start Feb 26, 2013
Trip End Apr 15, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
What I did
Sukawati Market

Flag of Indonesia  , Bali,
Saturday, April 13, 2013

It has been a pretty low key day today.  Just around 5 pm now and I am in my room because it is raining - more or less on schedule, but I thought we were getting into the dry season now.

I didn't make it to breakfast until 8 am.  I forgot what took me the extra half hour because I woke up just before 7 am.  I was out of here by 8:45 am, however.  I was on my was to the Sukawati market that Mrs. Evy recommended and I was determined to give the local transport a try.  I got more cash at the first ATM that I tried.  Then I asked tourist ino again where the buses to the Sukawati market depart from.  This time I got a more specific answer from a more helpful man.  I went past the traditional market across from the Royal Palace and inquired of a man standing next to a van where I could find transport to the Sukawati market.  This is where I went wrong.  He must have been an independent taxi because he quoted a price (a bit on the high side) and I didn't completely have my wits about me, so I said OK.  Once I got in the van, he started off, and then he repeated the destination, so I thought I had better show him the printed version.  I don't think he understood.  In fact, once I got there, I am not sure I was at the right one.

But it kind of worked out, since I didn't have to wait for the van to fill up before he left.  I talked myself into believing it was all for the best.  I told him not to wait for me since I didn't know how long I would be.  I started down one street until it resolved into predominately woodcarving.  There were people staining some of the carvings and maybe even doing some carving.  Other booths were filled with "batiks," toys, temple decorations, some clothes.  I ended up buying a little carved turtle and then not buying anything more until I had gone through the majority of what seemed available.  I realized after I was back at the hotel that I missed buying something that I had wanted to buy.  I ended up not buying all that much - a few things and some tropical fruit, and a coke to drink.  It was pretty hot and I bought the coke to have somewhere to sit in the shade for awhile.

The Sukawati market covered quite a few streets and was composed of stalls along the sides of the streets and several large market buildings where there were stalls inside on several levels.  There was a healthy produce market and one floor had some chickens and lots of those baskets that chickens and fighting cocks are kept in.  It was like running a gauntlet in the buildings and I tired of them very quickly.  When I am hassled like that, I only want to escape so I stop even looking at things

After a little more than 2 hours I was done and headed back to the parking lot to look for a way back to Ubud.  I asked at the Police booth and was told to stand in front of the booth.  I did that for a while and  watched for what could be a public bus.  Actually I think the one that brought me was a public bus, but took advantage of a good fare to go rogue.  I saw something pull in on the other side of the street and crossed (always risky).  The driver said he was going to Ubud and I got in.  It was pretty crowded, but a woman told me to sit next to her little boy.  I think I frightened him.  Then got off after a bit.  The driver went part of the way back and then stopped and told me to go with his friend - it was OK.  He gave another guy some money and I got into the second bus.  This one had a few people and made a few stops before reaching Ubud.  I wasn't exactly sure where he was going until I saw the Arjuna statue, but then he made a turn - onto Haroman Street I think - he kept going and then I recognized the football field so I asked to get off and then I wasn't sure which side I was on, but he pointed to Monkey Forest Road and then I was set again.

I had my lunch on the veranda and read more of my book.  Then I went to make an appointment for my spa treatment.  They asked if I wanted it then, so I said OK.  The first room I was taken to had ants in the bathtub/shower, so the masseusse apologized and we went to a second room.  No ants here.  First I had an acupressure massage that mostly felt great but there were a couple of spots in my back and my calves that hurt when she pressed.  The oil massage was the best part again.  Then I had a whole body clay masque treatment.  I thought this would be great, but she had the fan on and when she put the clay on, the air evaporated the moisture and it was COLD!   I  survived though.  Then I had a facial.  I have only had one facial before and that was because I had a coupon for a free one.  This was quite nice.  Then the masseusse washed off the clay with some liquid in a coconut shell bowl - it was a yogurt massage.  Finally I had a flower bath.  I wasn't sure what this was supposed to do for me, but it was fun to slosh around in the warm water with lots of orange flower petals and drink some herbal tea.  By this time the rain had started.  I had to put my grungy clothes from the market trip back on and I headed back to my room.  Now it was 5 pm.

So I don't really have anything else planned for tonight.  It is already almost dark - almost ready to put on my paltry lights and close the curtains.  Too late to go out and I was planning to finish my cheese and crackers here for dinner so I don't really need to go out.  I took very few photos today so it will be a catch-up day on the computer and maybe even an early night.  Actually I should do the major portion of my packing tonight so I can make another trip to the monkey forest tomorrow and mail my postcards and maybe make one or two remaining purchases.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: