The Salamanca Saturday Market

Trip Start Feb 26, 2013
Trip End Apr 15, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
What I did
Salamanca Saturday Market
Maritime Museum
St David's Cathedral

Flag of Australia  , Tasmania,
Saturday, March 2, 2013

Doreen and I got up fairly early and were out of the hotel and on our way to Salamanca Place for breakfast.  As soon as we reached Salamanca Street we saw the stalls that hadn't been there last night.  We turned into Salamanca Square and found the Banjo's restaurant for which we had a coupon for a free coffee.  We ended up not using the free coffee coupon.  The counterperson got rather annoyed with me because I was trying to decide whether it was better to use the coupon or take advantage of the special breakfast deal - since you couldn't do both.  Finally I decided on the special breakfast deal but first I needed to know that a regular coffee would cost over $3.  It did.  I ordered a cappuccino that was more like an espresso with just a tiny bit of white fluff on top and it was very strong.  Maybe that was good since I was wired for the rest of the day....except when it came to the hills.

After breakfast we wandered up and down the market until we covered it all.  That was mostly my own problem - I had to see all of it.  Doreen was ..more flexible.  It was certainly a spectacular market with lots of fine crafts - jewelry, woodworking being the most notable I think.  There wasn't so much pottery, or artwork/photography, but there was some.  There was some touristy stuff of course with t-shirts, stuffed toy Tasmanian tigers and devils.  There was food - the honey looked especially appealing - I will have to get some yet - and vendors of many types of prepared food.  There were also seed sales and plant sales, used books, used clothes and a whole variety of other things too.  It was very extensive with decent quality.  In addition, there were lots of street musicians, known as buskers - I heard the term in England as well.  Most of the performers were younger people, but there was a variety of music genres.  There was one young man - or were there two different ones - with a sort of metal half sphere on which he played as a drum and it had a lovely sound.

After the market, we were kind of tired, but decided to check out the Kelly steps leading up to the Battery Point cottages and a view of Mt. Wellington overlooking Hobart.  The cottages were mostly rehabbed and had rose and lavender as well as other flowers in their small front yards.  Lots had intricate wooden detail along the roof lines and on the porches.  I liked it a lot and took a bunch of photos.  Of course, when don't I take a bunch of photos??....when I don't have a card in the camera.

After our jaunt up the hill, we stopped for a bite to eat.  Many of the restaurants in Salamanca Square serve breakfast all day.  We got to Redred (??) just before noon and got a breakfast menu.  Since neither of us wanted a lot to eat, we ordered banana bread for Doreen and sourdough bread and jam for me.  Then we noticed other tables getting another menu, ordering french fries and other things, but I was OK.  The bread and jam serving was quite generous and filling. 

We were having a lot of difficulty mapping out the rest of our day.  I was a bit reluctant to drive to the Botanical Garden and preferred putting it off until tomorrow.  Doreen asked what we should do instead, which made me rethink my original thought.  Then we debated how we would get to the Botanical Garden - tossed around the idea of walking there and then decided against that.  We looked into going to see the seals on a boat ride, but axed that idea since it was too late today AND probably the biggest reason - it was $300 per person.  We walked back to our room, I unloaded my purchases and some other unnecessary items, such as my raincoat, and we headed back out again.  Some of the order of this might be messed up.

At some point it was past 2:30 pm getting on to 3 pm and we still hadn't really decided what to do with our diminishing afternoon.  We bought our picnic food for tomorrow at the yuppie food market and brought it back to our room.  We walked toward the museums.  Oh, yeah, we wanted to try to go to the much recommended MONA that we couldn't find much info on.  We had seen that you can get to it by ferry, but were unsure if the ferries would still be running and whether we would have enough time to see it once we got there.  We picked up a flyer at the hotel that gave car, bus and ferry directions to the museum - we still didn't know much about it. 

Around this time, as we walked toward some other museums, Doreen said we might as well check out the cathedral since we were walking past it.  So we peeked into St David's Cathedral and saw a set of drums in the center aisle.  It was a great Gothic style church with large stained or colored glass windows.  It was different from the layout of Catholic churches because it was a Church of England.  Off to one side was a museum in a single corridor.  There were bits of masonry from different famous churches in England, e.g., Glastonbury.  There were many Union Jacks hanging from the ceiling - most in tatters.  A man walking through mentioned something about at least one of them being hung up upside-down, but I don't remember the significance of that or his explanation.

After leaving the church, we headed down the hill in the direction of the sign that said 5 minutes to the art museum.  On one side Doreen saw something about a museum being closed for renovations until the middle of March or something like that.  When we got around to the other side, we found that was this was the building she thought might be the art museum.  We were fast running out of options.  We walked a little farther and saw the Maritime Museum.  We went in, paid up and walked around the exhibits.  Lots of nice old photos, model ships, some video presentations - all in all, a nice little museum in another rather nice old Carnegie building.  It had character.  They had quite an extensive gift shop with lots of nautical items and a large collection of related books, but somehow nothing appealed to me enough to buy it.

From there we went back to our room to regroup a bit before dinner.  We tossed around the options for dinner and were about to walk down the street for a pizza when a young woman entered the elevator with a pizza box.  Turns out she works for room service delivering pizzas - or at least she had some connection with room service - she had gotten her own pizza - but ended up delivering ours once we ordered it at the front desk.  Seeing her pizza made us ask and then it seemed like a good idea to order it from room service ourselves.  It was a quite good margherita pizza and we got 2 bottles of the local Cascade beer to go with it.  We chatted about various things and now are winding down for the day.  Doreen is reading the book on Van Diemans Land we bought - or she bought - that I decided to buy and I am working on this blog.

Maybe I will add a few pics once I check for emails - or maybe not.

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: