Long Travel Day-4 Train Stations and Channel Ferry

Trip Start Apr 25, 2012
Trip End May 12, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
St Georges St Peter Port
Read my review - 1/5 stars
What I did
English Channel

Flag of United Kingdom  , Channel Islands,
Saturday, May 26, 2012

I probably shouldn't be so annoyed.  Maybe it is because I am tired. 

I tried to go to bed early but it probably wasn't until midnight that I got to bed.  Then I think I woke up around 3:30 and had trouble sleeping after that.  I had asked for a wake-up call at 5:30 am just in case my cell phone didn't work, but the desk clerk said he would do it as soon as he finished what he was doing....and I don't think he did.  But my cell phone would probably have worked.  Instead I woke up about 3 minutes ahead of time and turned it off.  I got ready in 15 minutes or so and unlocked the front door and let myself out of the White Hart Hotel.

I had thought about getting a cab but instead walked slowly up the hill with my back and front packs.  I climbed the steps over the tracks to Platform 2 and waited for over a half hour for my 6:30 train.  Then the fun began.  I could feel I was tired, but I had to stay awake to make sure I got off at the right places and got on the right trains.  The first connection wasn't too bad.  I had to go down stairs and climb up again to get to my track but got onto the waiting train - I think I had 5 min. between arrival and departure.  This train I had an assigned seat but there were lots empty so for most of the hour or two, I sat at a table seat and then as more people got on the train, I switched back to sitting next to a young man. 

As we approached Castle Cary, he asked to get out so he could prepare.  I then got out so I could prepare:  put my packs on and get to the next train.  The poor young man had two back packs, a duffle bag, and a bunch of smaller gear around a belt.  I thought I had it bad.  Poor guy.  He got the stuff off the train with a little help, then piled it around him as we waited for the next train.  When it came, he threw the 2 backpacks in and went around.  On this section, from Plymouth to Weymouth, the train was crowded and there were no seats.  We both put our packs on the overhead rack and stood.  After awhile I got a seat, and then a Polish woman sat her two cute little daughters next to me.  One of them picked fuzzy things off my skirt.  They left and I waited anxiously until the Weymouth stop.  With some help of other people, I got my bags down and on and started for the next train.  It was slow going because of all the families with strollers going to the beach.  Finally I got to the next train that was really nice and had hardly anyone on it.  I lost track of the young soldier.  This section only took an hour or so to Poole.  I had been worried that the train to Poole would have left because the schedule only showed 6 minutes between and we were already 15 minutes late but either that train or another one was there and I didn't have a problem.

I stayed awake on this last leg of the the train journey even though I had dozed off before.  After alighting (that is the British term for getting off the train), I found a taxi.  This was a speedy driver.  He careened around corners, raced through the streets.  When he verified that I was going to Guernsey, he asked if I would take 3 Guernsey pounds for 2 English ones.  I hope he didn't rip me off - I didn't realize that Guernsey had its own currency but now I have some.

There were no problems at the Condor ferry terminal.  I got my boarding pass and waited.  I ate my left over cheese and wished I had something to drink with it.  We boarded a little bit before 2 pm for the 2:30 sail.  The ferry took about 3 hours.  I mostly napped after having a hot chocolate and some kind of ginger cookies.  I thought the ginger might help with any seasickness.  A few times there was some noticeable swaying but nothing that caused any motion sickness on my part.

I had to pick up my backpack on the luggage carousel.  There was a customs line but no one manning it.  I got directions to St George Esplanade and started walking there.  It was a bit farther than I wanted to walk but I made it.  I got my room which originally didn't upset me too much even though it is not particularly nice.  Then I tried the wi-fi but couldn't get it in my room.  Then I remembered I had asked for a sea view - somehow I began to think a sea-view room would have allowed me to use wi-fi in my room.  Perhaps not, but now I was annoyed and not happy with my room.  I went downstairs to ask where I could use the wi-fi and a different lady told me I should look up the code number.  I told her I had the code number, but that I didn't get any connection in my room.  She then said I could go downstairs to use wi-fi.  I asked where - thinking that downstairs was down another flight of stairs. not the floor we were on.  She, with some marked irritation - said I could sit in either of 3 chairs in the hallway or go into the dining room.  I think this is the place that gave me such a hard time with skype calls.  (She wouldn't book my room over Skype because she said the connection wasn't good.)  I checked emails and then was ready for something to eat and an early bedtime.

I won't go into my search for somewhere to eat.  Suffice it to say that I toured around town and then came back to the area near the B&B to find a restaurant.  I had a nice scallop thermidor and an English dessert.  I got back to the B&B before 10 pm, but the door was locked.  They lock it at 10.  Now that I have come downstairs to use wi-fi, a man in a bathrobe came and turned off the light so I can't see the keyboard.  I really do hate this place!  it is 10:35.

Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: