Dubrovnik to London Travel Day

Trip Start Apr 25, 2012
Trip End May 12, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
What I did
Stoke Newington High Street

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Saturday, May 12, 2012

Here I am in Astrid's flat in Stoke Newington.  It is an hour earlier here but somehow I was thinking it was an hour later - in any case, it is bedtime but I will try to enter today's events quickly.

Since today was basically a travel day, there is not that much to write about.  I got up past 7 am and finished packing, took my shower, got a pastry & cappuccino at the corner, and made some photo selections for the blog without uploading them.  Or I might have uploaded some.  I paid for my room and arranged for a taxi to the airport at 10:30.  It is odd how obsessed with time I have been these last few days.  The cab ride to the airport was much longer than I expected but I still got there in plenty of time.  I got some British pounds and bought some water with my last 20 kunas.

The plane was late taking off in Dubrovnik but the pilot assured us that we would make up the time.  I don't think we did.  I was in the first row of economy and I heard the baby in the row behind me coughing.  I don't know exactly when but I became aware of the coughing stopping.  Then there was panic back there and flight attendants were racing around.  I did hear the baby crying again.  I wasn't sure if I heard vomiting or not.  The crisis was over but the staff were keeping an eye on the baby and mother and emergency medical assistance was called in to greet the plane when it landed.  They brought the mother and baby to the business class seats and a doctor examined the baby.  They closed off the front door and we all had to exit out the back.  Since I was in the front of economy, that meant it would be a longer wait than usual.  The couple sitting next to me were worried about their connection. 

I thought I had enough time to make my connection until I looked at my itinerary and saw that the plane departed at 3:30 pm and it was nearly 3 by the time I got off the plane.  We went to the shuttle vehicle and waited.  No more people came.  We waited....and waited.  Then the mother and baby were escorted off the plane and got on the shuttle.  The baby seemed fine now but it was getting medical attention just to be sure.  We drove around the airport and finally ended up at a terminal but we had to wait for another shuttle to leave all of its people off before we could get off.

Once in the terminal, I followed the signs for connecting flights to the security check.  My line was slow so I switched to the one with the worried couple.  They were still worried and now so was I.  I was the last of our group to go through security.  I had forgotten to drink all of my water so the security officer threw it away with a gleeful smile.  Then he had me open my daypack and put through my camera bag again.  By the time I finished there, I had about 15 min to make it to the gate.  I walked as fast as I could and finally got there with about 5 min to spare.  I was lucky in that the plane wasn't full so I had room for the daypack in the overhead bin.  It was another short flight from Munich to London-Heathrow.

I was among the last to get my baggage and found Astrid waiting for me.  I got some money and we headed for the Tube.  There we got me an Oyster transit pass and put some extra money on it.  Astrid's stop is Stoke Newington and it takes over an hour from Heathrow.  Stoke-Newington is in the borough of Hackney, northeast of London center.

Once we got off the Tube, we walked a short way to a bus stop and took the bus to Clissold Crescent.  Astrid had me pay attention to the route so that I could do it by myself.  I guess that plan was not so successful.

After arriving at her flat, Astrid showed me around and pointed out things I should know.  Then we went for a walk, did some shopping at the Whole Foods, checked out the High Street, bought a bottle of Sicilian wine, bought some fish and chips and came back and had dinner.  After that, I had just poured myself a bit more wine when I knocked over the glass and spilled the red wine on the table cloth, wall, radiator and floor.  I felt really bad about this but Astrid was comforting and told me not to worry.  It came off the radiator - or at least what I could see of it - but the white wall still shows some signs of it and I can't really tell about the table cloth but I am fearful.

Now that I have made a mess, it is definitely time to go to bed.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: