Final Morning on the Tour and First Day Solo

Trip Start Apr 25, 2012
Trip End May 12, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Apartments Sandra
What I did
Maritime Museum - Dubrovnik
Ethnographic Museum - Dubronik
Cathedral - Dubrovnik

Flag of Croatia  ,
Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Today I was a bit anxious about my onward journey.  I wanted to leave on the 3:30 bus for Split but so far I had no ticket and no hotel there.  While Marilynn showered (or attempted to in our old bathtub), I repacked so I could leave the big bag behind.  We were to meet Doreen and Estelle at 9 am to go back to the Old Town in Dubrovnik.  Around 8:30 I tried the internet in the courtyard for Marilynn to use and I went to find Tony to arrange my stay for the 11th.  I asked about my timing for the bus and a place to stay in Split.  He offered to call someone and give me a price and availability.  He told me to go ahead to the old town and he would arrange everything - that's not quite what he said but he did tell me I could go then and leave him with the task.

The four of us went out to the street and stopped at a cafe on the main street where we got drinks and popped over to the bakery next door and got pastries to eat with our coffees or juice.  Jordan came and sat next to us and bought a bunch of bread.  We said our goodbyes to him since he had to catch an 11-hr bus to Skopje and then another to get to Kosovo to fly to Barcelona, pick up his belongings from school, and then fly home

Around 10 am we got the bus to the old town as I tried to memorize the route so I wouldn't get lost when I came back for my stuff.  Once at the Old Town, we first went to the Maritime Museum.  It had artifacts, paintings of mariners, ship models.  There was a nice video of the history of maritime trading from Dubrovnik or Ragusa as it was then called, but it was too low in volume for me and way too fast to catch all of it.  I maybe got a quarter of the narrative but I could see the little boats riding on the sea and the symbols for some of the goods, like oil, grain, Catalan wool.  Plus the museum was not well lit for me to see either.  (This is beginning to be a recurring theme.)  I loved the building in which the museum was housed - maybe a warehouse of some sort.  The building had vaulted arched ceilings and great views too.

We then went to the Regent's Palace.  It had paintings and furniture as well as the old building.  We did a little shopping next, then the Ethnographic Museum.  Esmerelda Immaculata (aka Estelle) didn't go in here or left to wait for us and we lost her at that point.  I really liked the Ethnographic Museum best because of its traditional clothes, kitchen and farm equipment, baskets, etc.  A bit more shopping and then we sat down for lunch.  I ordered a salmon sandwich but left without my sandwich because it didn't come in time.

I managed to catch the #6 bus to Posta right away AND I managed to see the Posta sign near the construction AND to get off the bus.  I had a few minutes of panic since I couldn't find the landmarks back to the hotel but then I walked farther up the street and saw the turnoff.  It seemed to be in the opposite direction from what I expected for some reason.  Oh, well.  Tony was in his office with my bags, had gotten the info and I agreed to the price.  He called the man up and they talked and he had to tell the man how many bags I had.  This seemed to take up a large part of the conversation.  So Tony said someone might meet me at the bus station at 8 pm when I got to Split.

Now Tony wouldn't let me leave until I filled out Louise's form, so I had to do it very cursorily.  While I was doing that, he called a taxi.  Then Louise came and started apologizing and saying goodbye.  I didn't mean to be unfriendly but I didn't want to miss the bus.  I had given Marilynn an envelope for Louise but felt odd telling her that.  I guess I could have...should have.  Tony and a woman helped me with my bigger daypack even though I didn't need them to do that.  The taxi got me to the bus station, I bought my ticket and waited for the bus and ate my extra apple strudel from breakfast.  I got on the bus with a window seat - facing the sea.  Nice.  While waiting, I wrote up this entry and now the engine has started.

I watched a cyclist ride up, fold up his bike and put a cover over it before getting on the bus.
Nice bike!!   It is now 6:45 pm and we are having our 2nd 10-minute break but I am tired of paying for toilets.  I may be out of change as well.  I see a nun taking a package from her trunk in the next lane.  We have been passing great scenery - sun shining on sparkly water between the shore and the off-shore islands of which there are a very great many - almost continuous - along the Croatian coast here.  It is still mountainous with cliffs, lots of cedar and other evergreen trees.  I love the skinny, pointy cedars.  I missed some great photo ops at the beginning of the ride because I was shy about my camera, but saw one of the noisy young men taking pics so I started to take some too.

The noisy young man is one of two companions to the cyclist.  They are all noisy young men.  Across the seat from the ones in front of me is a quiet young man with a Prince Valiant hairdo.  They are all speaking what I think is a Germanic language but I don't know what.  I have conjectured that the quiet young man can out-talk the cyclist so he (the cyclist) has quieted down and the other two now seem more influenced by the quiet one.  They continue to talk loudly but they seem to agree more with the quiet one.  The cyclist appeared more heated in his discussion.  Oh, well, I have no idea.  I took a dislike to the cyclist when I complimented him on his bike.  He responded that it was an English bike but wasn't very friendly.  I am probably too sensitive.

I was one of the last to get off the bus and was greeted by a very tall, thin man with a sign saying Diana.  He took my bigger daypack (now I am not sure what I meant by this - I meant the daypack I used to put my photo pack into - now I am carrying my clothes and stuff in it) and walked me to his house.  The old part of the house has been in his family and is around 600 years old I think he said.  He pointed out useful places, like the supermarket, the center of town where he said everything was, and a few more things I can't remember now - a day later.  He rents rooms and apartments here and his mother has the room next door.  I have a little kitchenette.  He showed me how to put on the TV on CNN.  I told him I didn't need the TV, but he seemed disappointed, so I let him show me how to put it on and even watched a little CNN at night.  It's nice to have my own little kitchenette.  Before he left, I asked where I could get some pizza and he gave me directions to the best one in his opinion.  So I went there and ordered a pizza, a beer, and ate a couple of pieces there since it came so quickly - before I had a chance to drink the beer - and then I took the rest of the pizza back to my room.  I saved some for breakfast.  I worked awhile on my cameras and blog.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: