Goodbye to Reykjavik

Trip Start Jan 18, 2012
Trip End Jan 24, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United States  , New York
Tuesday, January 24, 2012

I discovered why it is that I sleep so long....I'm used to waking up 5 hours the light.  So I got up around 9:30 which didn't really leave enough time to pack without being frenzied, go to the spa and have a buffet lunch, so I skipped the idea of lunch and survived on my acquired food supplies that included skyr, smoked salmon, brie, Wasa crackers, lots of orange juice, dates, almonds, cookies and probably something more. 

I got my late check-out at 1 pm and gave them my postcards to send out.  When I wrote them out last night, I noticed how much I paid for the stamps and was aghast.  It has been about 90 cents in most places.  Here it was 220 Icelandic kronur with an exchange rate of about 1.25 dollars per 100 kronur.  Oh, well, I guess they are worth it...

The spa was nice.  First I forgot my bathing suit so I had to go back for it.  My complimentary spa visit included use of the hot tub and a 4 minute head and shoulder massage.  I hadn't realized what a large complex it was within the Hilton.  There is a fitness center adjoining it somehow because the corridors of the spa open up to the gym in places.  I almost got lost coming out because there were so many corridors and turns.   You are supposed to take off your shoes in the hall before entering the locker area where you disrobe, then shower, then put on your suit.  There were 2 hot tubs in dimmed lighting with pitchers of water with sliced oranges in them.  The massage felt quite nice.  There were people coming in and out ... some were coming from outside the hotel.  There were other things you could get but nothing seemed under $100 except for manicures and pedicures so I was content with my hot tub massage experience.

I managed to stuff all of my stuff into my luggage and still wonder how it is I can never travel light enough.  This was only a week!   Although I did have to bring winter clothes - enough to keep me warm in outdoor weather.  I think my biggest problem was being too hot because I was overdressed and it wasn't that easy to take off layers because they were inside the other layers.

I had a great time in Iceland and was sad to leave.  For a moment I thought I might not be leaving because it had started snowing in the morning but cleared by 1:30 when I got the shuttle back to the airport.  The rest of the day progressed along in reverse of my arrival with a 5 pm flight from Keflavik to JFK (in 6 hrs) so I arrived one hour after I left.   Then it was the AirTrain and the LIRR and Amtrak back to Albany where I picked up my car at the train station and drove home only to let Omar outside.  He didn't even greet me.  Maybe I will let him in now...if he wants to come in.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: