Blue Lagoon

Trip Start Jan 18, 2012
Trip End Jan 24, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Iceland  , Gullbringusysla,
Sunday, January 22, 2012

After waking up around 6 am and then not getting back to sleep, I was a little sleepy on the shuttle ride from Reykjavik to the Blue Lagoon Spa.  I had read somewhere in the guide book that the Icelanders are very particular about hot springs etiquette.  I was advised by fellow glacier walkers to upgrade, get a robe & towel, a cocktail and massage special but alas there were no openings.  It may have been just as well since I was getting a little seasick after almost 2 hrs in the thermal baths- I guess not exactly hot springs.

The site is amazing - on the shore- with a lava sea wall that separates the Blue Lagoon from the sea.  As you approach, you see steam rising from the area.  There are a bunch of buildings - there is a health clinic in addition or part of the spa and there might be a thernal plant associated with the spa.

Since Iceland has had record snow fall this year, lots of roads and sidewalks are still covered with snow and ice although they do use salt here.  Surprising, since otherwise Iceland seems very environrmentally conscious.  There are recycle bins for bottles and cans at restaurants and not totally related, we have to put seat belts on while in vans and buses.  So the path to the spa building, with lava banks on each side, is a bit icy.  There is a procedure, quite efficient, as you enter, you pay and get a wristbank with a chip that is the key to your clothes locker and can be used to create a tab for spending while in your swimwear.  People do walk around, have lunch, etc., in their robes, but I didn't realize that until I had changed and once I changed, I didn't really want to go through the whole process again.

You head for the locker areas, disrobe, shower, put on your swimwear and head out.  There is a door in the water so you don't have to walk over the icy sidewalk to get into the lagoon.  The water is 100 F and quite pleasant.  There are pockets of warmer and cooler water.  There are wooden boxes where hot water comes in and in one place in particular, you can see the steam.  There are guards roaming around in orange suits - not exactly sure of their function.  While in the lagoon - and there is quite a bit of area - you can wander into several alcoves where there are benches below and above the waI ter.  There are boxes with silica mud so you can have a do-it-yourself mud facial.  You can buy the seaweed in the shop to apply yourself as well.  I might have done that but needed to buy the stuff before I got in the water I think.  In any case, the products were extremely expensive.  I may be out-of-touch with cosmetic prices anyway.

So I spent a delightful hour plus roaming around in the water.  You can swim or walk, but as I walked, I had to bend my legs so the majority of my body could stay below the surface.  I had to switch hands with my camera because my hands would get cold.  I wasn't sure if the camera was sulphur-water-proof too.  I was hoping it would clear up more so I could get a better shot of the mountains in the background of the spa.  Mostly I got pics of steam - some with some people in it - a few of the bridges and lava walls that make the place so picturesque.  I thought I took a photo of myself with my silica mud mask but I must not have pushed the right button.  I forgot to check the playback to see if I had taken one.  I'm not very upset that I didn't.

Around one, I changed, gave up my bathrobe and went in for lunch.  I might have gone to the Lava Restaurant but the special meal was over $50 and I didn't think that was the place I wanted to splurge so I went to the snack bar instead and got a smoked salmon sandwich with some hard-boiled egg in it and something else white and soft - maybe cream cheese.  I kept on reading for awhile instead of rushing back and I enjoyed a view of the lagoon.  I took the 3:15 shuttle back to town and noticed that there seemed to be a storm, or at least, substantial cloud cover and am really glad I went on the Northern Lights tour last night.  Now I am catching up on internet and sleep maybe so I can be ready for a full day of touristing tomorrow.

It's now 5 pm and getting past dusk.  When we left at 10 this morning, it was still dusk.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: