Last Day in Zanzibar

Trip Start Nov 03, 2011
Trip End Dec 10, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
What I did
Zanzibar Museum - House of Wonders

Flag of Tanzania  , Zanzibar Archipelago,
Saturday, December 3, 2011

Juliet got up early.  This is a recurring theme. I had woken up but tried to go back to sleep without success.  She went out around 6 am and planned to be back to wake up Anigna at 7 am.

I showered and got out as fast as I could to take photos in the early morning light.  I headed out back and around the hotel and landed up by the Park heading north.  I saw some sort of market with lots of big baskets, took a few photos, including one of a smiling woman coffee vendor.  A man stopped me and said I should put away my camera until 9 am because there were hooligans around who could rob me.  I tried to be more covert.

I went back to the Old City and got a little lost in the warren of streets.  I saw the tourist streets but they were quite barren except for trash collectors.  I took a few more photos and then decided to retrace my steps and I landed next to the House of Wonders.  From there I made my way back, ran into Anigna and said goodbye, heard that Juliet had waited for me to have breakfast.  At first Juliet didn't appear to be around, I walked around the hotel garden, then she came up to the room and we went to the rooftop for breakfast.  Cheeky crows tried to steal her egg and flies were annoying.

We then made our way to the shopping district to finish shopping.  I got a few more things at my favorite shop Memories.  Juliet got some more bargains.

Then Juliet got us into the Museum again because we had not had time to finish last night and they had said we could come back today.  We checked out the rest of the exhibits although I had whizzed through most of them I had a chance to read more of the material.  It was really a nice little Museum with history of the island and bits and pieces of daily life.  There were some photos of the Sultan and the Princess of Zanzibar.  The doors are spectacular - big, heavy, richly carved.  The building's staircase is huge, so wide - the steps are fairly shallow too.

We stopped for lunch at the Buni Cafe - a good choice with a harbor view.  It was not far from the restaurant where we first ate in Stone Town.  I had Buni seafood platter - which made me happy - no crab but lobster, kingfish, octopus and squid.  Juliet's kingfish was not as good as before.  We then wandered around, shopping, but the zest was gone for me.  We got back to the Garden Lodge, got our bags and packed up.  The taxi came on time around 4 pm and we were off to the airport.  The route to the airport gave an entirely different sense of Zanzibar - it was quite modern and not nearly so exotic.

The line at the check-in counter seemed impossible - a large group of people seemed to be having problems but then we were through...and through security, bought water, used up almost all my Tanzanian shillings waiting for our 7:20 flight to Dar es Salaam.

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: