Maritime Museum

Trip Start Jan 27, 2011
Trip End Feb 17, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Netherlands Antilles  ,
Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I woke up really late today...after 8 am.  I tried to rush but needed to get organized for the snorkel trip and get my directions in order too.  So I started out about 10.  I fed some of my scrambled egg pieces to the kitty kat but s/he wasn't very grateful and was greedy, batted my pen out of my hand in its ardor to get at my food.  I had decided it was time to finish up my postcards but I didn't expect to be able to mail them here.  I inquired about a post office and was told that it was in the Otrobonda...inland from the Queen Emma bridge.  I didn't know how far.

But there is a certain serendipity here....somehow I got off the ring road and ended up in the Otrobonda.  That was nice.  So I managed to park the car...that part was easy.  Paying for my parking spot was harder because I couldn't see because of the glare on the machine to follow the instructions.  I had to ask 2 different people for help.  How pitiful.  But I found the post office and got my stamps and mailed them so that was nice.  I debated since I was there and had a parking spot whether I should try the Maritime Museum.  I opted not to try the parking meter again because I couldn't remember the order of the directions.  I followed some cars...that is my new strategy...and managed to get to the Punda over the big bridge.  I got off in a familiar place and found the Museum but it took a few turns around several one-way blocks to find a parking space.  I took photos of the intersections in case I got lost but it was pretty easy.

The Maritime Museum is in another of the lovely old buildings with basically the whole inside gutted for the exhibit space with a catwalk on the second floor and then military artifacts on the attic floor.  At first even though there were great photos and descriptions in English, it was very dark and I couldn't read anything.  After awhile I began to be able to see some stuff.  Maybe I need to eat more carrots.  It was a nice little museum.  I thought the history  of cruise ships was fascinating.  There was a trunk with evening dress and photos from the 70's and 60's that now look ancient too.  After the museum, I checked out the floating market and the market nearby in a rotonda.  There were some interesting things, but now I need to think about weight and space in my bags after my aloe and curacao purchases.

Now I was ready for my snorkeling.  After more wrong turns and driving in is it that I can't remember which were the right and wrong turns from a few days ago.   I went back to the Breezes area and stopped at Mambo Beach but the guys there said it was just a beach and snorkeling wouldn't be great.  They had no idea where the beach with markers for snorkeling was....according to Frommmers it was just east of Breezes.  You never know but I decided to go to Jan Thiel beach.  I had been there by mistake a few days ago and the drive there looked familiar in places.  Of course I got lost but eventually found it in a resort.  I had to pay three dollars to get in.  I sat on a lounge chair in the sun because there were none left in the shade and started eating a snack.  A girl came by to collect money for the chair.  Of course, I had only brought three dollars and it was gone, so I found a place on the the shade.  The beach is coral so it was painful to get into the water.  I thought I would hold on to a pier, but a wave came through and knocked away my flipper as I was putting it on, but I caught it before it went away to sea.  I had a lot of leaking in my mask so I tightened it after Renee had loosened it properly.   I swam around toward the rocks but didn't see anything.  Maybe there were fish somewhere but it seems like too popular a beach to have any coral left on the bottom plus there was lots of sand on the bottom too.   It was nice to get wet and cool off.

When I left I went in the usual circles and dead-ends before deciding to follow my new strategy.  I did a quick u-turn after landing back at Jan Thiel beach and followed the car going fast.  It almost got away but I managed to get out and onto the ring this time.  I missed a left turn and had to drive past the airport again.  My gas tank light was showing so I stopped at a gas station.   I wanted six dollars worth of gas out of a twenty and got ten guilders in change.....which wasn't right so I had to work all that I got twenty-five guilders back....sounds better.

I got back home to Landhuis Daniel but no one was around to ask about borrowing a bucket so I scrounged around and found one with some water and a rag of sorts and proceeded to wash my was pretty dirty.  Despite our bad start, it was a good little car and got me around despite my never knowing how to get anywhere.  So here I am, after washing myself, waiting for my last meal at Landhuis Daniel.  I have to say goodbye to Olga tonight because she is off tomorrow to rest her sprained ankle.  Poor Olga, she limps around in pain.  The internet isn't available now...usually it is better after nine and I can't check my email or upload photos or anything like that.  But I have to pack tonight anyway.



Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: