Oranjestad and Horseback Riding

Trip Start Jan 27, 2011
Trip End Feb 17, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Arubiana Inn

Flag of Aruba  ,
Friday, January 28, 2011

I got up kinda late today ...since I didn't have a watch or clock...I put my computer in the safe and didn't want to get it out just for the time.  I got help from Marijan at the desk to set up some activities:  The jeep safari isn't until monday because it was all booked up until then but I could get sunset horseback riding for this afternoon.   With that set up, I set out.  I walked to the beach and then headed toward Oranjestad.  It took longer than I thought it would.  I walked past quite a few hotels or condos with their thatched huts and lawn chairs.  When I finally got to the city, I had a hard time finding some of the older Dutch-style buildings or I just couldn't tell what was what.  There were a lot of kitchy casinos and and jewelry and designer stores.  What I was really looking for was a fruit smoothie.  I was parched after that long walk in the sun.  I settled for a soda because I needed to catch the bus back to the arubiana inn for my pick-up.  I found the bus OK and even got change back from my $2 but I didn't know exactly where my stop was so when I pushed the buzzer, he ended up driving almost a mile past my desired stopoff point.

I got back in time and changed for riding and gathered up some stuff.  I took my rain poncho just in case.   The ranch was situated in a wonderful area of cactus and shrubs.  My horse was named Blackie and he was pokier than my rancher guide who was walking his horse for half the way.  I don't know exactly why.  We rode out to the ocean where there were some rocks with cairns on them...I don't know why, I asked but I think he said something about the ocean being deep.  We went to a point where we could see the lighthouse and then turned back.  Now Blackie was excited and wanted to trot.  It was a nice gentle trot so it was fairly comfortable.  There was beautiful late afternoon light on the cacti and I was taking photos inbetween trying to manage Blackie.  It was a lovely excursion and the ocean or some plant along the coast had a lovely smell.  I got back and thankfully they had bottles of water for us at the ranch.  I desparately needed a drink.  Now to scrounge up some food and process some photos.  I noticed a smudge on the lumix after the morning trip and managed to get it off the lens but some of my my compositions suffered because I will need to do some surgery on them.  Oh, well.  I found out two things from the driver back:  the water here is processed from sea water and there aren't any fruits or vegetables because of too much rain in Venezuela.

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


issi on

oh Dianna so lovely to see you again you look great and enjoying yourself, love your Iguana, there are lots there also blue ones. I love your flowers and I'll keep going on here

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: